Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
this years craft bazaar updates >

this years craft bazaar updates

this years craft bazaar updates

Old 11-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned

Default this years craft bazaar updates

what a bummer...the shows are very well attended..though not the usual crowds/shoppers.
THe OLDER shoppers are not there, and the NEW shoppers are not sure what, if anything they should be buying..hehehe

SO, while there are people walking around, looking, touching, etc..they are NOT buying..not even in my booth where the highest item is $18.00 and that is a wooden quilt rack with mini quilt!

It is not just me, I have heard this from TX, OK, MO, and AR....from the CHurch bazaars to the big shows!

What about where are?

Here is another thing I observed..there has been NOTHING traditional at any of the 3 shows I have done. Barring my mini quilts, and cookies in a jar mixes.
I am talking not ONE booth had Christmas stockings, ornaments, tree skirts, table runners, wall hangings, doll clothes, toys, etc...just a boat load of hair bows...my goodness the hair bows...and imported crappola...you know, rhinestone crusted large purses, cheap metal crosses, nothing traditional or Holiday at all!

SO, can you guess what I am making for next year...I don't know about you, but I like traditional holiday stuff...and this year, our walmart and hobby lobby have very little merchandise for the holiday...SOOOO....on the agenda for this upcoming year, I will be making stockings, tree skirts, table runners, placemats/napkins, coasters, tree ornaments, baby bibs, crayon rolls, candle mats, hot pads, and anything else Traditional I can find before next Oct.!

What do you like to buy at shows that you could not find this year? anything?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 PM

I just attended a show last weekend with a friend. Lots of looking, but very little buying. We did a few sales at our booth, more than other vendors there we talked to, but just slow overall. I agree, not too much traditional stuff was on view. Not a single placemat or tablerunner in sight. Lots of potholders for some reason. Potholders and Potato cookers were apparently "de rigeur" for this season. Haha. Sounds like you will have a lovely stock for next year though!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

I've found craft sales are very slow this year. The attendance has been dropping too. Many crafters I know are thinking of packing it in.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:56 AM

At our Project Linus fundraiser craft show, I found what sold were holiday items and things for babies/small children. Of course, many of coordinator's friends came and they are all grandmas, so that probably explains the last part!

Lots of nice stuff went untouched. We did okay, but still...hard to know what to make for craft fairs these days. Next year I will make more holiday stuff and maybe stuff for pets.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:35 AM

I have only gone to one big craft fair this fall and it was mostly jewelry jewelry and more jewelry. I did buy a nice piece of pottery, but nothing else.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:42 AM

I've been avoiding craft fairs, myself, lately. It's been near impossible for me to carve out any time to create so going and looking at other people's wares just ends up depressing me. That being said, I do plan on getting into my sewing space this weekend and working on some table toppers for gifts.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:48 PM

My daughter sells Scentsy products ( the flameless candle ) & now they are into some perfumes. She did very well at the last craft fair she was at here in North Dakota. A lot of the other vendors were complaining that nothing was selling. She has another one tomorrow night in our home town. She usually does good there also and we have a lot of newcomers now living in our state. The employment rate in our area is low--hard to find housing tho. In a big crunch becuase of the flood in Minot and all the oil impact in our area.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:59 PM

Craft fairs and bazars aren't doing that well in Ontario Canada either and we don't have the high unemployment rate. I think a lot of people have just cut back and many of the items sold at craft shows are not essential. One lady at the last one had beautifully made things at good prices and she still didn't move very much. The baking, jams and pickles sold well but no one seemed to want the place mats, table runners, mitts, hats and oven door towels etc. I know I just sent baking and $ to our last church bazar as I didn't think my carefully stitched items would bring very much and I don't want to do all that work to have it marked way down and practically sold for nothing.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:08 PM

I used to go to festivals/bazaars often (to shop, not sell) but I can honestly say that I have not gone to any for at least 2 or 3 years. For me, personally, I find that I am an impulsive shopper...and I often spend more than I really should and then, once I get home, I regret my purchases. It is not that I cannot afford to spend...I am just to the point in life where I am getting rid of stuff instead of bringing more stuff into my house. As far as holiday decorations go...I have too much and I am decorating less and less each year. As for placemats, wall-hangings, etc., I don't generally buy them because I know I can make them myself. That said, I do feel for the vendors who have spent hours crafting all their products. While I know and appreciate the time/money spent making the item, I do realize not everyone has the same appreciation.

And, I do agree with a previous poster who mentioned all the booths filled with jewelry, bags, items purchased to use for resale. That stuff really does not interest me, either. And, when I did attend festivals/bazaars, I did notice lots of 'lookers' but not purchasers.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:31 AM

Haven't gone to a "craft sale" since we were in Tenn on vacation.& was disappointed in what was offered.Tons of new high priced merchandise.A lot of it can be bought cheaper in Walmart.What little hand crafted there is to choose from is the same in every booth.This yr a lot of table mats,next yr,whatever is the "go to pattern".
I personally don't shop at those booths nor do I buy table runners etc made with holiday fabrics.Just me, but would rather buy what I can use yr round.Used to love the bazaars etc.Now,I mostly pass on them.