Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
You can reuse these canning lids! >

You can reuse these canning lids!

You can reuse these canning lids!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 AM

Smile You can reuse these canning lids!

There has been quite a discussion on canning lids, whether to reuse them or not. They do make reusable canning lids. Tattler lids are guaranteed for a lifetime of use. They are made from something other than plastic or rubber and may be reused many, many, many times. You may have to replace rings and rubber rings but not the lid. They are quite a savings due to this longevity. You may google them or go their website and read about them. They are also free of the things that cause cancer, can't remember the initials, something like PBH or GHB or something like that. Anyway, they are great! Check them out.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 AM

I bought a large quantity of Tattler canning lids two years ago. I ran out of lids during canning season and could not find any. ???What??? I decided that the problem was not going to happen again. Initial investment was a lot but the fact that they can be re-used seemed so logical to me.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 AM

I won't be buying them. I do understand the uses and reasons, etc. I also understand many items have formaldehyde in them. There may be small traces in these lids, but even a small amount tells me to keep using the ones I do and buy new ones every season that I do canning.
http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/bpafree.aspx
Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
There has been quite a discussion on canning lids, whether to reuse them or not. They do make reusable canning lids. Tattler lids are guaranteed for a lifetime of use. They are made from something other than plastic or rubber and may be reused many, many, many times. You may have to replace rings and rubber rings but not the lid. They are quite a savings due to this longevity. You may google them or go their website and read about them. They are also free of the things that cause cancer, can't remember the initials, something like PBH or GHB or something like that. Anyway, they are great! Check them out.

GHB is the date rape drug.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Well, they are probably free of that too.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:31 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Hey !! those are made by a company close to my work !! I have some of those .. they are great, but gotta use the rubber rings for them along with the lids.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 AM

Smile Tattler lids

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I bought a large quantity of Tattler canning lids two years ago. I ran out of lids during canning season and could not find any. ???What??? I decided that the problem was not going to happen again. Initial investment was a lot but the fact that they can be re-used seemed so logical to me.
You can google them. I have found them at several hardward stores and one specialty store in Waynesville, NC. Easiest way is to order them online. I think they are the way to go. They do not contain formaldehyde....that's one of their selling points. Also, they are PBA free.....sorry about the GHB thing! lol!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 AM

Default You must live near Fruita, CO!

Originally Posted by Caswews View Post
Hey !! those are made by a company close to my work !! I have some of those .. they are great, but gotta use the rubber rings for them along with the lids.
They are great and produced and sold by a great small-family business. They stand by them. You do have to change the rings out and possibly the screw on tops but the lids do last! Glad you like them!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 AM

Smile Sorry I did miss-speak!

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
I won't be buying them. I do understand the uses and reasons, etc. I also understand many items have formaldehyde in them. There may be small traces in these lids, but even a small amount tells me to keep using the ones I do and buy new ones every season that I do canning.
http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/bpafree.aspx
The website does say they contain trace amounts of formaldehyde. But I am sure the other lids do as well and they are all within acceptable amounts according to the FDA. Also, this is only released at very high temperatures. That's all we can go on isn't it? Thanks for everyone's input. I just thought it was worth mentioning that lifetime lids are available that can be re-used. Up to the individual what they prefer. Happy canning!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 AM

They advertise on The Blaze all the time. I trust them!!