You know it's bad when...

Old 01-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Lyn

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by hokieappmom
That is why I live in the south, although I'd love a good snow once a year. They are calling for it this weekend - yeah. But may get ice too. You northerners will love this - if they even call for snow here and we barely get a dusting, schools are closed and many offices (mine included) come in late to work. Another reason to love the snow. :lol:
We have a friend who moved from NH to SC in the middle of the winter. When he got there, he took the snow plow off of his truck and left it on the front lawn as an ornament. So far, no one has asked him what it is. But, when the snow comes, he's ready! :!: :) :!:

That is funny. They probably don't know what it is. When we lived in DC an inch of snow would cause people to abandon their cars on the highway. We joked that they shared a snow plow between towns.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:38 AM

When I first started reading that I thought maybe you found a quilt store on your way. That would have been a much better way to spend time being late. :thumbup:
Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 AM

I hate bad weather. We had rain and snow last week. The roads where good then the ice came. When is spring!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
Originally Posted by Ninnie
Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
you leave your house at 6 am to get to work by 7 and you do not get there until 10:30!! OMG was it horrible!
Hope everyone else has a better day than driving in crappy weather.
Hugs
April
That is why I live in the south, although I'd love a good snow once a year. They are calling for it this weekend - yeah. But may get ice too. You northerners will love this - if they even call for snow here and we barely get a dusting, schools are closed and many offices (mine included) come in late to work. Another reason to love the snow. :lol:
You forgot how they buy out the stores, not a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread to be found LOL
And just the mention of snow, everyone is nervous and talking about it, like there is a blizzard coming :lol: :lol:
And you know ~ I've never understood the milk & bread thing. Wouldn't that make for a very soggy sandwich???
My daughter figures that everyone must want french toast. I wonder about the TP.... don't they keep enough for a few days anyway? The snow melts within hours here in Atlanta, LOL!!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
you leave your house at 6 am to get to work by 7 and you do not get there until 10:30!! OMG was it horrible!
Hope everyone else has a better day than driving in crappy weather.
Hugs
April
Yeah, we used to live in North Carolina and laughed when
we got a light dusting of snow and everyone headed to the
grocery store and stocked up for a month. funny.
Catlady
Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 PM

I'm glad to hear that you made it to work ok...although it took way too long. Been there done that. My job is 30 miles from home and in good weather I leave and hour before start time. That way if anything happens I have a little bit of extra time. Two years ago, I left home at 9 a.m., (my start time that day was noon) and I didn't get to work till 1 p.m.!!! Driving on I-80 in a snow/ice storm was crazy. Even the 18 wheelers were barely moving and there were sooo many vehicles in the ditches. I kept telling DH to please just take me home. He laughed and said that he would...later....after work. Glad that I didn't get into trouble or anything...going home in the dark that night was even worse. Please be careful...Wouldn't know what to do without our April here. :D Hugs......... :D Tigger :D
Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Zoe
The roads here are hilly and curvy, coupled with the fact that there is little budgeting for snow removal, you have the recipe for gridlock. My biggest fear in those years was being trapped for hours while driving on the Beltway. I stocked foods, water, blankets, batteries, kitty litter, and a small shovel in the trunk in the event I was stuck. The one thing I could never figure out was "how to rig up a portable toilet." :roll:

Have you ever heard of a thunder jug?! :-D
Old 02-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Seriously, folks, I know that snow & ice can be a problem and I'm glad no one has written that they've been in an accident. As much as I joke about winter in New England, I know that what we get is sometimes just a fraction of what other parts of the country can experience.

Primarily, we get a smattering of everything and learned to be prepared, as much as we can be. However, when a storm is forecast, a lot of people react as if the sky were falling and only milk and bread can save the day! :-)
Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 AM

I know what you mean. One time I left work earily because we were getting a fast moveing storm. I left at 12 And got home 7 1/2 hrs later I got home.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Lyn

My son is in Richmond, VA. They just got 10-12 inches of snow. It is paralyzing down south. He parked his car at home and is walking everywhere. The problem is when it melts it overwhelms the streets. Up here in NH we had a heavy snow storm and as I was shoveling snow a young girl who went to high school walked to the bus stop. The bus came and picked her up. They slapped chains on it. Up here if you don't drive in snow, you stay inside for almost 6 months. Richmond and further south are not used to this at all. Ice storms are a whole different matter!