Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
You really can't have it all! Just sayin'... >

You really can't have it all! Just sayin'...

You really can't have it all! Just sayin'...

Old 07-05-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I can't believe all the stuff I used to do 25 years ago. Big garden, cut wood, pick wild strawberries, hand-quilt 6 hours a day, refinish furniture, AND my house was clean.

Of course all this was before the internet...

Me too!!!
I think the internet has stolen a lot of time from us all! I had to limit the time I spent on line a few months ago because of the garden. I am trying to stay on my "internet diet" so I get some things done. There still doesn't seem to be enough time!!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo
At 68, I tell my kids I've gotten selfish in my old age. I did the wife/mommy thing for 22 years. When it became 'just me', I continued doing it all for a long time. When I discovered quilting, I decided that I could do what I wanted, when I wanted. Now, I'm still working full time, but if my house isn't as clean as it should be and there are some weeds in the yard, 'oh, well'. It's my life and I should be able to enjoy it.
When my kids were younger I was always cleaning, especially floors and things at their height. Now, if I undust once every two months and vacuum twice a week I'm doing good. I like when the house is clean but it seems so futile, especially since I don't live alone. The irony is it really doesn't matter so much any more and you know what? They don't even notice!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
when i was much younger, i worked my hospital job full time, had three kids and hubby, at one time had 22 pets around here, had a huge garden, canned and froze produce, made jam, took night classes, sang in the choir at church, taught sunday school, was a deaconess, and headed up the monthly birthday cake donations for a nearby institution for mentally ill long term patients. now, i work .9, have no kids, one hubby, one ancient cat, and no time. i don't know how i used to do it. now time is sucked up by some hungry hole in the universe that just plain sucks it in like a tornado. more and more i do less and less. i wonder if my generation is the one that's finding out the hard way that you can have it all--but you get too tired to do anything with it!

now after work i sit and catch up on the computer, and take a nap so i have enough strength to put on my jammies and do it all again the next day.i buy fabric, sew a little now and then, and wish i had energy to do it all again. i will die with one more project on my mind, and one more quilt laying by the machine...
Wow. Just reading this makes me tired, lol.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by desertrose
I used to be you also and I have tried to find that one dream I still have left that could help me make a living. I haven't yet and until I do I just listen to my heart and try what it says "that's interesting or I really like that pattern for pillows." Maybe you have a favorite pattern for pillows and a new interior designer that's looking for fresh talent." There's usually one area of sewing/quilting/designing we all like best. Find out what makes you come alive and do it. Even if turns out to be floral or garden design. {{{{HUGS}}}} :-D :-D :-D

I can't do a fraction of the things I did now that I'm in my mid 60's. I fall off into never never land while reading emails and try not to beat myself for all the time I should have used more wisely today. I have to leave should at the door mat and be glad I can still do what I do. If we fail to listen to our bodies God just unplugs me and makes me rest. Welcome to Twilight of our lives."
Did you read my mind? I didn't even mention in this post about extra $$ but that is also on my mind. I've wanted to have a business for about 25 years now but there is always something else, but maybe it's like you said that the thing the business should be just hasn't hit me yet. Even so when it does, I hope I have the stamina to see it through, or maybe the fun of it will be the energy.

As far as God making you rest, a few months ago I was pulled over for speeding on my way to work. Haven't been pulled over since I was a teen. Had the music loud and was just spacing out. Funny thing is, where the cop was there wasn't usually any cops there. So he does his routine, checks out my license, asks where I'm headed and after he tells me I can go - no ticket! - he says and by the way...SLOW DOWN! I tell you, with what was going on at the time in my head he was definitely one of God's messengers giving me a lesson. I remember that now, especially when I start to kick myself for not getting it all done.

You definitely have to pay attention to the signs.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM

Twelve years ago when I quilt my full time job I thought I would have the time I wanted to sew (at that time I was not into quilting) cloths and do scrapbooking. I didn't count on being a fill in babysitter at a moments notice for 6 grands and being on call for any or all other things my 2 daughters needed. Now 3 of those grands have moved 40 miles away and they are all past the age where they need a baby sitter. I didn't get much sewing time then and it seems like I still don't get the sewing time I want.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:37 PM

No way can we have it all. And yes, the internet changed all our lives. Before "it" we existed in ignorant bliss. Now, we're "out there" trying to see what we're missing or either high stepping to keep up with "it". I gave up and now just stick to my quilting as my #1 hobby. That makes my happy.