Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Zendoodling.. my new fun for when I can't sew! >

Zendoodling.. my new fun for when I can't sew!

Zendoodling.. my new fun for when I can't sew!

Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Default Zendoodling.. my new fun for when I can't sew!

I learned this new thing over the holidays and I just love doing it. Of course, like anything, I have to add my own bits, but that's just me!

You start with a random doodle which I make with my eyes closed, or I try to control it too much. LOL Then I smooth out the pattern and work in the ends. Next is to fill in the areas with different patterns and designs till it is all to your liking. I take it further and then color it in with my pencils.
Now I am beginning to do some frames around the original doodles.

I cheated on my first one and used a photo of my cat Jazzy. I just printed it in black and white, then traced the main areas from the back and filled them in. After that, I was braver and the rest were made from my own doodles.

Am adding a couple photos to give you an idea. Now I see these patterns everywhere. Especially in fabrics!!! It's really quite amazing.
Attached Thumbnails jazzyframed.jpg   zensnailish.jpg   zencat.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 AM

Love your cat!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Wow! I can sew but I am not an artist. I admire your talent.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

beautiful and just amazing!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:56 AM

You are doing great pieces.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:32 PM

Thanks guys!! maryb119, I never thought I was an artist either, that's why I love this so much!!!
The books tell you how to do the fill in designs at first then you will find yourself taking off and creating your own. I am really learning how to relax and let my instincts take over which is the key to the whole thing.
I recommend working in pencil, as I erase a lot, lol. Also, once you are happy with it, then I suggest making a photo copy of your piece in pencil or ink before coloring it, as the pencil/ink can smear as you work over it.
At first I didn't do anything without the books right there, but now I just refer to them now and then. Pretty soon I'll be thinking I can design fabrics! LOL

There is also a thread here on the QB on zentangling with your sewing stitchery. That is totally awesome to me. You should check it out if you like the pencil work.

For books to read on it, I recommend the following which should be available thru your library:
ZenDoodling by Carolyn Scrace, publisher is Barron's Educational Series
Joy of Zentangle by Design Originals, Fox Chapel Publishing

Last edited by wildyard; 01-12-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Your Zens look Great!! I have tried to do Zendoodling so many times......I will have to try what you do...close my eyes as I always want to "control" where and how the doodle is. Thanks for that hint.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:51 PM

your work is really beautiful and your are right I was browsing pier one imports and saw a lot of that kind of patterns didn't buy anything the place too pricy for me really nice stuff tho.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Jazzmyn, I hope that hint proves helpful to you.
I don't know the zen rules, lol, but I am sure I will see them as I do the quilt police and not let them in my house. After I finish my original doodle, I am not hesitant to add to it or modify it as my artistic instinct tells me as the design progresses. I also look at the doodle from all 4 directions before I decide which end is up.
I am sure this violates some rule but it's my design so I don't care. This is why I work in pencil at first rather than ink. Well, that and with my fibro, sometimes I get muscle spasms that make my hand jerk or shake and then I get extra random marks.. lol.

It's such fun to just let my creativity flow and not hinder it with anything. If I'm not happy, I erase... it's as simple as that. My inclination to make something rather than just random designs is natural to me it seems, and I don't fight it. Maybe I should, lol, cuz right now I have a doodle that says Turtle to me... but it says "turtle humping a rock" and that is not something I want to go with.
Many zen artists work directly in ink and that is the true zendoodling I think. They often use note paper or index cards without lines to limit the size of their work. Some work on tiles.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

definitely a lot of fun and great practice for FMQ