zippers

Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 AM

I need to make a cover for my dogs bed and need a long zipper. Has anyone ever bought those zippers on a roll and cut it to length?

Susan
Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 PM

Yup, you also get multiple pulls along with the roll.:)
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Do you need a special tool to make them work?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:48 PM

No, just make sure and measure the length you want than I take a heavy thread and go across again and again with a stitch to make my closure at the end BEFORE cutting making sure that one of the pulls is where you want it. The roll should come with directions.:)
Old 05-12-2011, 02:29 PM

LOVE the roll of zippers. I have made a LOT of dog beds (as fundraisers for Boxer Rescue) with them. dakotamaid is right tho - make sure that you stitch around where you want the end to be BEFORE you cut the zippers. It is nearly impossible to feed the zip part on both sides if it comes apart. Ask me how I know ?!?!?!?!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:30 PM

I haven't needed to use a long zipper for a long time, but there was a time when I was in "slipcover" mode and also in the "duvet" mode and needed them. My local Joann's sold them loose as upholstery zippers and they really fit the bill. Of course, you had to know how to insert in a zipper in the seam, which I did. Nowadays, you could probably find directions online or on youtube. Since Joann's still sells upholstery fabrics, they probably still have the zippers. I think any store that sells upholstery fabrics would probably have them. Just takes a simple phone call. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 PM

Just thought of something - just how big is your dog's bed? How long does the zipper have to be? I just checked Joann's online and they have Coats & Clark metal zippers in all sizes and colors, packaged with directions, and the 27"-36" size is $4.99, the shorter ones are less expensive.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Just thought of something - just how big is your dog's bed?

hahahaha, well, one is actually a twin size and the other is a bunk bed mattress. I found a 100" sleeping bag size but the bed length is 73" and the next size was 48" so I was thinking about the zippers on a roll but thought I'd check here to see how well they work. Idiot dog likes to *try* to rearrange his bed before laying down ... he can't figure out why it won't move when he's sitting on it so he ends up tearing the sheet. He also drools so I wash the covers often and don't want something I have to fight with to get back onto the mattress. Poor baby gets soooo offended when I make him quit nesting the just lay down ... in his mind he still a tiny little thing and he doesn't understand why he can't make a nest anymore. (he weights a good 160 lbs.)

Susan
Old 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM

Oh my gosh! What kind of dog is he? Poor baby probably doesn't know he's not a baby any more! Guess it's roll zippers for you!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 AM

He's an english mastiff ... he really is still a puppy at only 18 months old. :-D

I need to take time to figure out how to do an avatar here and use his pic.

Susan