Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
@--`,----  Hello to all - from a newbie quilter and poster ----,`----@ >

@--`,---- Hello to all - from a newbie quilter and poster ----,`----@

@--`,---- Hello to all - from a newbie quilter and poster ----,`----@

Old 10-17-2008, 12:00 PM

Hello everybody!

This looked like a fun place for a quilt addidct to be and I thought I would take a few minutes to introduce myself as well as my love of quilting.

My name is Sheila and I am a 39 year old wife and mother of three children. My oldest son is 12 and I have 6 year old boy/girl twins. I run my own Legal Support services business and while that and kids takes up almost every hour of the day - I find my self sewing when I should be sleeping.

Never having quilted before but I do sew a little, I signed up for a beginners class and I started quilting just last October and I have never looked back or loved anything more...
I realized that while I do many many crafts( scrapbooking, card making, folk art painting) I am only a dabbler in those areas and quilting has become my passion.

In the past year I have finsihed:
1 - lap quilt (that was my first ever class project) Loved it! Learned tons. - Gave to my mother for CHristmas.
1 Rag lap quilt - for my youngest niece's birthday.
2 - Quilt as you go queen size quilts that I gave as wedding gifts (great pattern from the Spring Fons & Porter Easy Quilts magazine - looks like a cheater catherdral window only larger circles) I will try to post pics if I can figure out how.
1 - Wall Quilt - teacher gift that I designed myself from folk art paitning
patterns made into applique - love that I can re-use patterns I already own!!
1 Fall table runner - Gave to one of my sisters with her Chistmas gift
1 Chistmas Stained Glass Wall Hanging from another class I took - very neat techniques learned there too. If you see the trend developing here - I have that away to (my other sister) :D

Ongoing I currently have a queen size Irish Chain - will be a wedding gift next year for my Brother and his soon to be wife as well as a Harry Potter Paper Piecing project I have started for my younger sister who even at 32 years old Loved the book and the movies and we share this with our children so I am excited to work on that for her! :lol:

Not to mention the unexpected love I have discovered I have for handwork - which I swore I would never like - SO I am doing a Nancy Halverson Block of the month quilt at one of our local quilt shops and it has loads of applique that just looks better when the decorative stiching is done by hand. And in an effort to find use for the bits left over from my 2 large circle quilts I have been experimenting with English Paper Piecing - which is all done by hand sewing bits of fabric to Hexegons or similar shapes and then piecing together by hand - this is very relaxing to do in frontof the TV when I want to be productive but just dont want to haul out my sewing machine (small house - no sewing room but that is on my wish list for the next house :) )

I am sure I could go on and on... (trust me I am a born chatter :D )
but I will say goodbye for now and hope only that I can share as much as I learn!

Sheila @---`,---

Old 10-17-2008, 12:10 PM

Hi and wecome from Mass. Sure sounds like you are busy. Do you have any pics. We just love pics.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:15 PM

Sound like you are off to a good start. You will find people here from beginners to those who have been quilting 30 plus years. If you have and questions feel free to post and we would love to see some pictures Try our chat board , though at times no one is there and others full house. Anyway a big welcome to you :D
Old 10-17-2008, 12:17 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

H Sheila,
This is a great place. Experiment and show us some of your projects ( if you have any left). I give everything away !

Wow, I have never done a quilt larger than Lap or Crib size. I started quilting when my son was an infant.

I learned to sew with all the Marsh Brady clothes my girl friends and I wore. So easy, Aline ect.

Nice to see a new person. I am sort of new too.

Ellen
Old 10-17-2008, 01:07 PM

Hi Sheila! Welcome from Oklahoma!!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:11 PM

Yes I keep lots of Pics - as I seem to give everything away!!

I just did not want to seem cheeky - I'll try to figure out
how to post them - I love to share as I live so far from my family that I need people to share with :)

Sheila
Old 10-17-2008, 02:26 PM

Hi Sheila, and a big welcome form North Carolina.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:15 PM

Hi Sheila, welcome from Southern California. This is a great place to be for quilting tips, techniques and idea. And we love to see everyone's work. Looks like you dove right into this hobby! Keep up the good work!!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:28 PM

Welcome! Sounds like you have been busy this past year making lots of neat projects.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:44 PM

Goodness girl -- you make me tired just reading what all you did last year!

Welcome -- from southern Indiana :!: