Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Brand New to Quilting

QM
    Hello! Welcome aboard. If you go to www.quilterscache.com you will see lots of good free patterns, all rated by difficulty. My first was 9 patches with sashing. Rail fence is also a good choice. If you have a background in embroidery or have a machine with fancy stitches, crazy blocks don't require a special sewing skill and can be spectacular, even if time consuming. Feel free to ask if you encounter any difficulties/questions. I suspect that like me, you will find the hardest part is the 1/4" seam allowances quilters use.

Hiya, welcome from me here on the Isle of Anglesey, what all the ladies have said, but start small as the one thing you need to master is the handling of the machine and the scant 1/4" seam. One of the easiest and stress free intros to quilting is buy a Jelly roll, Google it and try this pattern: http://www.ehow.com/how_5068537_make...nce-quilt.html one of the easiest and fastest patterns to do but it will teach you the importance of your seam.

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar
    I'm a beginner too, and I started with a kit, so I wouldn't have to make too many decisions and could just focus on construction. It's so much fun and I have lots of different projects going now. Dive in, it's a blast!

Welcome!

The first class I took over 20 years ago was rotary cutting a rail fence pattern, and I've been addicted since then. It's a very simple pattern, and a good test for accurate 1/4 seams too. If you aren't familiar with rotary cutting, I would recommend learning that - it takes the frustration out of cutting with scissors.

Thank you!! I love this quilt, it doesn't look to hard, maybe I will give it a try!

This is a great site!!!

​Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Welcome..............First get to know you machine..................The nine patch is good block for a beginner....... Practice, Practice.
    Happy Quilting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3