Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: FMQ: shredded thread/skipped stitches

I have a Janome Memory Craft 6600. When I FMQ my thread will shred and there are skipped stitches. I've changed thread, rethreaded, use 12/14 needle and still have problems. Any suggestions and could it be the FMQ foot itself?

Blog Entries
    Hello, and welcome from Idaho!

Banned
    I had same problem on my Juki and store I bought from said use 16 needle. Seemed kinda large but no more shredded thread or breaking. Except Connecting Threads cotton. If I go to fast it almost always shreds on FMQ.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondolet
    I have a Janome Memory Craft 6600. When I FMQ my thread will shred and there are skipped stitches. I've changed thread, rethreaded, use 12/14 needle and still have problems. Any suggestions and could it be the FMQ foot itself?
    It sounds like you have everything covered. New needle? I 16 needle listed below sounds HUGE. I do a ton of FMQ and have never used one that big. If you are having to compensate that much, I wonder when the last time you had your machine cleaned and the timing checked etc. Also, cannot remember where online, but an article pointed out that because the way the gearing mechanism of the stitch runs, some machines FMQ works better side to side rather than toward or away from you. Try that too maybe. Good luck.

sounds like you need a new needle- and perhaps clean the machine-
    usually frayed thread is from the needle not being the correct one for the thread- and skipped stitches generally mean the needle is dull or has a burr.
    sometimes these things can be caused from lint build up- or it's time to oil.
    some maintenance- and a new needle the correct size/type for the thread will more than likely fix the problem

Are you using the same kind of thread on top and in the bobbin. That can sometimes cause problems if you arn't.

Welcome from Michigan.:)

np3
    Blog Entries
    I don't know the answer but welcome from Central California. You will love it here.

Welcome from Kansas

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast