Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh outta Boston!

Fresh outta Boston!

Hello. I recently joined this wonderful board. Sew excited!

I have never sewn before, except a little work on the beginnings of a cathedral windows quilt by hand. I do a fair amount of knitting, but never thought I would be interested in sewing.

Well, a few years ago, I fell ill and was forced to leave my profession. I moved (home) to Boston for the great free MA health care. For a time I was homeless, but I am now on disability and in housing. Thank goodness. Anyhoo - the point of sharing that - there is a local women's shelter that was very helpful to me. They offer art classes FOR FREE! I recently went to the art room to pick up some yarn, and a quilting class was just beginning. They asked if I would like to join and I did on a whim. Well, now I am hooked!

In the class, we are making a batik lap quilt. Love it! Then, best of all, Santa came early with a Brother xr1300 (costco)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Weeee. I went to Joann's and picked up a cutting mat, rotary cutter, ruler and some on-sale christmas fabric. Made a small tree skirt - all on my own!

I was reading on a fb quilting page and found out about the craftsy free BOM class. How cool is that??? So, I picked up some fabric at a discount fabric store and off I went! 6 blocks done, 14 to go. Yeay me!

I posted some photo's of my progress on fb and a widower friend recommended this site. His wife was a member here. I love this site!!! So addictive. The only problem - I am not getting any sewing done now that I have found you all. LOL.

Anyhow, sorry for the long intro, but that is how I arrived at this point. Thank you all for the invaluable information you share!
    Attached Images Attached Images            

I would say you have been bitten by the quilt bug! Welcome and ask away, someone will chime in with the answers. I'm a bit Nawth of you.

piney

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. You have done a super job on your quilty things.

Hello! Welcome from Washington state!

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard the Board from neighboring (almost) Vermont. Glad you found us and glad you joined the sisterhood (with a few brothers thrown in) of quilting!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Hello, and welcome to the board! Your quilty projects are lovely!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Welcome to the forum from Adrian, MI

Welcome from Michigan!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

great looking quilts!! welcome from se TX
    diane

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast