Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello! Brand new quilter from NC >

Hello! Brand new quilter from NC

Hello! Brand new quilter from NC

Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 AM

Hello all. I've just started my first quilt. I'll tell you what happened, I have three daughters and I got sick of tossing clothes just because there was a tear or stain on them, so I went in search of a way to use the fabric and came up with quilting :-) .....ok so I didn't "come up" with it, I ran across the idea online lol.

I am not really a sewer. 10 years ago I made my daughter her first Christmas dress and followed that by making pillows but that is the extent of my "skill" so quilting is definitely a challenge.

I am trying to do it by hand for now, I do have a machine but no where to pull it out that it could stay out while I complete the project.

I am doing a heart quilt. I don't know if it is a patchwork or sampler quilt, because I don't exactly know what those terms mean lol. But I'm using fabric from my girls old clothes - 3 girls = lots of red and pink clothes, that's why I decided to go with a heart quilt.

Anyways, wanted to get on here and introduce myself because I'm expecting to need lots of help along the way LOL!

Look forward to getting to know you all!

Teresa
Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Welcome from a fellow another North Carolinian. You've come to the right place for learning, asking questions, posting pics, getting encouragement. This is a great site! I'm sure you'll find it - and quilting - addictive.

Joanne
Old 11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned

Welcome! You are going to Love this board. I do, and I also am a beginner :wink: I've done one quilt myself...
Old 11-04-2008, 11:19 AM

Welcome from VT! :) This is a great place to be. Two days and I'm loving it already. It's a warm, welcoming, helpful group of people. "Sew" you're in the right place :)
Old 11-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Welcome from NE CA. Glad to have you join us. There's lots of talented people here and very friendly and helpful.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Welcome to the Board Teresa, from So. California!
"Patchwork" would be any time you are sewing different fabrics together, "applique" is sewing a motif on top of another fabric (or reverse applique - you cut away the top fabric to reveal a different one undermeath), and a sampler is usually when each block in the quilt is a different block pattern. It would be entirely possible to have all those things in one quilt too! :D
Hope that helps a little bit & isn't TOO confusing! Any time you have questions, feel free to ask - someone on the Board will either know the answer, or else know where to point you to find it.
:D:D
Old 11-04-2008, 12:00 PM

Welcome Teresa! My first quilt was also a baby clothes quilt. You can see it there in my avatar (the photo number my name) so feel free to ask questions. There are so many helpful and kind people here you're always certain to find a helping hand.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:00 PM

Oh YAY that means I'm making a patchwork quilt!! I'm excited to know that. I'm fascinated by it and slightly addicted already. I'm sure this quilt will end up looking funny, you know, crooked, but I think that will be neat anyways since my 9 year old is also helping me stitch the pieces. I am so excited to see the finished product regardless of what it looks like. And my mind is already racing with ideas for my next quilt!

I really haven't had much time to read through the posts here. It's my birthday today ....but don't tell anyone hehehe. So I've been a bit busy with my girls. Can't wait to read through the posts though!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:16 PM

Happy Birthday! What a great day for you. Trust me your first quilt will be beautiful. No matter what happens it all goes into the quilt sandwich and I promise once it's done all you'll see are those beautiful fabrics from your girls' clothes.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Happy Birthday Teresa and welcome to the board from Southern California. I also have 3 girls, and a boy, but they are all grown now and as of August I now have an empty nest. I wish I would have thought of making quilts from their cloths when they were still young and I still had the clothes. Now most has been given away or donated. I have made each of the girls a queensize quilt to take to college with them. My son's is still in the works.

This is a wonderful place to be, lots of tips and help and inspiration!!!