Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from California-New to Quilting-A question? >

Hello from California-New to Quilting-A question?

Hello from California-New to Quilting-A question?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 AM

The last quilt (and first I might add) I made was 33 years ago for my first born daughter. The original plan was that I would make a quilt for each child. A son and daughter followed but unfortunately due to being very busy, they didn't get their quilt. Daughter #1 is now pregnant and I have decided that each and every grandchild of mine will have their own quilt! So, I am exploring quilt making once more and found so much has changed. The crib quilt, with the help of a rotary cutter and piecing techniques, is progressing. (I've learned alot that has made it fun and it is feeling addictive.......which seems to be a common feeling on this board) I do have a question, though, that maybe someone can address. The pieced top is all 100% cotton and I am thinking of using polyester fleece for the backing rather than more cotton. It would be soft for a baby.....Would that be bad? What do you guys think? Thanks in advance! :D ----Joan
Old 07-17-2007, 08:21 AM

As everyone here so kindly reminds us, there are no rules. You can do whatever is pleasing to your eye. I think your idea sounds very soft and would be perfect for a baby.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:47 AM

Joan. Welcome to the board. Ther ae a lot of new things out ,like you said, in the quilting world. Many manufacturers now design flannels and soft cottons just for baby quilts. So there are a lot of options available. We do not adhere to quilt police rules here, so whatever works for you and the little one is simply a design choice and all yours. Have fun. You have lots of excitement ahead. :-)
Old 07-17-2007, 09:07 AM

Welcome Back to quilting Joan!

I think fleece on the back sounds very cozy! :D Sounds like that grandbaby has a wonderful grammy!

sue
Old 07-19-2007, 06:35 PM

THANKS for all your words of advice and encouragement. I am so excited to report that I have completed the top and am trying to decide between flannel and fleece for the backing. It has been so much fun and my mind is spinning thinking of other projects that I can do. This Quilting Board is a wonderful source of information and most importantly a friendly place. ------ :lol: Joan
Old 07-20-2007, 06:43 AM

For years I put flannellette on the back of all my baby quilts & they were nice & cuddly. But then I found this jacquard fleece - it's a little pricier - and I love it. I've used it for the last 6 baby quilts. The only thing to remember is that it does stretch more, so baste closer & slow your machine quilting down so you don't end up with puckers. Look forward to seeing all the quilts you'll be making for your grandchildren.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:11 AM

I can't wait to go to Joann's to see what jacquard fleece looks like, Thimblebug. Do you still use batting? The lady who is going to machine stitch my baby quilt said that she didn't usually use batting if fleece is the backing. (she said it made the quilt too warm) What do you do?
Old 07-23-2007, 03:39 PM

If you use a fleece (there are so many cute ones) be sure it is safe for babies and children's sleepware....or you can test it yourself by touching a scrap with a lit match (over a sink full of water of course). If the fabric continues to burn or starts to melt when you remove the lit match, I would use something else.

Gotta love those babies.

K Cama

Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 PM

I have never tried the fleece but am a sucker for all the darling flannel prints that are out nowadays.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Welcome Joan! I think fleece on the back would be a wonderful idea. That would be very cozy and warm.