Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Kansas City :) >

Hello from Kansas City :)

Hello from Kansas City :)

Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM

WELCOME FROM MANITOBA, can be expensive, my guild know my ltd budget, some ladies downsize and give me books, magazines, fabric, large spools of thread one even gave her used singer machine (works like a charm), then offered to promote local companies products, demo word of mouth received beautiful gifts. (Yes an author sent Xblock ruler), always yard/garage, thrift shops.. Yes, it's nice to have technology but if possible..
Old 08-07-2014, 11:16 AM

Welcome from Southern California! As you read along with this Board you will learn the many ways to save money and even how to do things for yourself. This is a great place for words of wisdom.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Oklahoma. My sister and I save by using 40% coupons in Hobby Lobby, and getting our Warm and Natural batting by the box. I am set for several years since we just got some.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 08-07-2014, 05:37 PM

Hello, welcome from Nevada.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:11 PM

Welcome!! Yes, it is expensive to get started. When I was learning I went to the thrift stores and either bought fabric or men's shirts or blouses (always trying for 100% cotton, but if I found something I liked that was not, I got it too). That way I could make mistakes and not feel I was wasting a ton of money. One of the best quilters I know has a 24"x36" cutting mat, a rotary cutter, a seam ripper, a 12x24 ruler and shape cutter -- she says she wants to save her money for fabric. Her quilts are amazing. When shopping for fabric, I look at clearance and sale fabric. When buying tools, I use the Joann's coupons or shop sales and never pay full price. Now that I am retired, I put aside a certain amount of money each month for my "habit" so I don't feel bad when I want to buy something. If what I want is expensive I save for a few months to get the money. I still look at the thrift stores and I shop garage sales to get fabric, too.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:44 AM

Hello and welcome from Arkansas
Old 08-08-2014, 04:23 PM

Thank you for all of the warm welcomes! And thank you for all of the good tips on saving money. What a cool idea, to use thrift store clothing for fabric when you're starting out! When I was a little girl, someone made me a simple little quilt out of some of my dad's old dress shirts. I loved it, and still cherish it. I didn't even think about doing the same thing with clothing!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:36 AM

Manitoba here, have you been introduced to Missouri quilt company you tube tutorials, lots of videos to learn from.. I watch on wknds. I have PBS TV station on Saturday a few programs.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Hi from sunny Florida! Here is a link that will be helpful http://www.quiltville.com This is Bonnie Hunter's website. #1 it's huge so don't try to look at everything at once or you'll be there for hours :-) ! If you scroll down a ways you'll find a link to her Youtube video called "Deboning a Shirt". This will show you how to get the most fabric from those thrift store and yard sale finds. Because you are in a city check out the Salvation Army and Goodwill too. Many members here have been successful in finding great fabric deals at these places. I didn't order fabric online until I felt I had a good understanding of different fabrics, but that's me. Having someone else finish my quilts or a long arm machine is not in my budget, which helped motivate me to work at quilting on my sewing machine. Many quilters do, and some are great award winning quilters. You can do it! Start simple and build your skills. Lots of help, encouragement and knowledge on this board!