Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Lebanon! >

Hello from Lebanon!

Hello from Lebanon!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:48 AM

Cool Hello from Lebanon!

Hello fellow quilters!

I have learned how to sew few years back and last year started quilting and i am loving it. It's been very difficult here in Beirut to find tools/accessories, fabrics for quilting. Is there anyone in Beirut who can help?

Each time i go shopping for quilting fabrics or tools, people stare at me as if i am an alien!

Best Regards
Old 06-27-2016, 06:53 AM

welcome to the forum from Virginia USA. Hope you find some fabric. Have any old clothes made of cotton that you can cut up and sew back together for a quilt?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:13 AM

Thank you Jane!

I was able to order pre-cut fabric (small amount) from China. I already finished the top of my guilt, but the only batting i could find here is from the upholster's (very thick and made from polyester).
Since i want to use the quilt as a bed cover for summer, i thought i would skip the batting and use flannel backing which i am hoping to find somewhere here. Is that a good idea?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I would look for cotton shirts and dresses at thrift shops if you have them there. You might have to think outside the box a bit if there are no fabric stores. Is there a place that makes clothes? They may have scraps to buy.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Southern California in the USA. I don't remember any quilters from your area. Are there stores in Jordan that carry fabric?? Please be safe and welcome to the board!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:01 AM

Thank you very much ManiacQuilter2. Jordan is not very near and i don't think they have online shops!
we have fabric stores here, but it's either for furniture or very fancy couture fabrics and leftovers from factories.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:03 AM

*** Hi! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:50 AM

Welcome from SW Washington, USA! As Tartan said, Think outside the box. Quilts do not have to be made of cotton and lined with traditional batting. I have often seen silk that I thought was cotton. Instead of following someone else, Create your own path. The June/July/16 issue of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine has a feature on a quilter who lives in Israel close to the border of Lebanon. This magazine does have a Facebook site. I've long been fascinated by the Sashiko garments, which are multiple layers stitched together. I say find any fabric you feel is beautiful and stitch it together in a way that pleases you. Many quilts have been made with a flannel sheet or a blanket for batting. My stepmother took a large supply of upholstery fabric squares and stitched them together to make quilts for us back about 1954. They looked like bedspreads and were heavier than regular blankets. In the past year there has been a lot of interest in "The Tentmakers of Cairo" as presented by The American Quilters Society.

In the search box upper right of this page, type in Beirut and you will see posts asking the same question as you. Perhaps some of those people are still using this board.

Last edited by elnan; 06-27-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: substitute sashiko for shibori & add search advice
Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 06-27-2016, 01:15 PM

Welcome from the beautiful mountains of western NC.