Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Macau (a city near Hong Kong) >

Hello from Macau (a city near Hong Kong)

Hello from Macau (a city near Hong Kong)

Old 04-22-2010, 06:31 AM

I am learning hand quilting for a year. Now I would like to learn more on machine quilting. I have a Janome Platinum 760 and planning to have a Janome MC6600 or Bernina 440qe. I would like to have you comment on these 2 machine. Since Macau don't have any dealer, I need to order the machine from Hong Kong. The same dealer sales Janome and Bernina. I cannot easily get their maintenance service becasue is too remote. ( I need to take half an hour to ferry station and take one hour ferry and then 1 hour by car to the dealer's shop.) Therefore I would like to choose a machine doesn't need too many maintenance. In Macau or even in Hong Kong, there is no class for machine quilting. We can only learn how to quilting by ourself or go to Taiwan to learn. It takes one hour by flight and spend a big amount of money. I am planning to take a one week class in Taiwan at the end of this year but that is the maximum I can spend on machine quiling. Therefore user friendly is also a good mark for my decision.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome from Northern Indiana USA... Can't help you with the machine questions, but many on the board will be able to advise you :lol:

As for quilting questions all kinds of help available here :thumbup:
Old 04-22-2010, 06:41 AM

I have never had a Bernina. I have had Two wonderful Janome's. I have never had to have anything more than routine service on my Janome machines. They are sturdy and cost much less than Bernina's.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from Ontario
Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 AM

Hello and welcome from South Dakota, USA. We live near Mt. Rushmore. I have a Janome 4900 Memory Craft. Had it about 6 or 7 years. I am very happy with it. It has good light only thing I wish you didn't have to take the bobbin out to rethread, but maybe newer ones have that now. Be sure to sign up for our siggy swap and you would get a block from lots of people from all over the world. go to swaps, round robins and look for it under there. Sign up closes May 15 and they aren't due until later like July I think. I would love to trade and get soemthing from Chinc. Good luck on your shopping. Do you stay the night when you go. That would really be a long day. Again Welcome, Jackie
Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 AM

i have an old old janome and it still works hard and never gives me any trouble.
if you needed parts, how long would it take to get them? that's an important consideration. janome and bernina both have online forums that will answer questions about their machines and may have answers to the parts and tutorials questions also.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Hi and Welcome from outside St. Louis, Missouri. Lots of people on here have the Janome sewing machine. Post your question on the MAIN section and you will get more answers.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!
I have a Bernina and it has been a great machine. I have the 630
Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM

Welcome! When I read you lived near Hong Kong I had to say Hi! My daughter lived in Hong Kong for 18 months in the early 1990. We visited her and found an amazing city. Everyone should go there at least once. As for machines I have an older Bernina. I have had it for around 45 years and the only thing that has happened is last summer my bobbin winder stopped working. The reapirman suggested I buy one of the new little bobbin winders. It does the job but not as good as the machine. Also the Bernina is easy to oil and maintain etc.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:52 PM

Welcome from PA!! So glad you joined, This is a great site with lots of info from very nice people. I have a Janome Memory craft 4800. I LOVE it, the book is easy to understand. I've had it for 4 yrs already, runs wonderful. It's ashame you have to go so far to buy one. Bless you. Hope you hear from other sewers. Good Luck!