Hello :o)

Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Zen

Let's see. I'm 26 (whoah, totally typed in 23 and had to think about that...!) and have recently started quilting. I live in Washington with 2 little ones under the age of 3 and have a quilt group and a guild that I've joined. I have several projects in the works:

- quilt for my son made of fabrics that we got in Hawaii a couple summers ago

- BOM quilt with my quilting group

- wallhanging for my dad's birthday/ retirement

- black and white quilt for my brother's wedding (not sure when it's going to be, but I'm pretty sure they're going to get married and I'm also pretty sure they're not going to give much advance warning, if any, so I'm starting now).

Any suggestions for a quilt made entirely of black and white that is sophisticated, huge (California King bed), and won't kill me? I don't mind complicated though.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Welcome to the Board Zen, from So Cal. Sounds like you've been busy!
Hmmmm, black & white....I would suggest you take a spin thru' the Pictures category - there are lots of ideas there. :D:D:D
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM

Welcome Zen, from Southern California. King size, that is a huge untertaking!! There are patterns like Yellow Brick road, that are really easy and fast and because they call for fat quarters you can use many different black and white fabrics in it.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM

Hi, funny I posted a quilt named Zen at
http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/6639.page

I always recommend Yellow Brick Road as a pattern. Take a look at the ones posted here (search).

Welcome from Southern California

judee
Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 PM

welcome from MN - I am completing a black/white/red throw sized quilt cut on the bias and then joining mitered seams....It is tedious and would not want to do for a king, but if you are interested, let me know!

You could also check out Black and White Garden from your library or check it out on Amazon for some ideas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23776593@N06/2947297317/
http://quilting.about.com/od/blockof...k_logcabin.htm
http://www.sugarpinedesigns.com/patterns/specials.html (click the black and white beauty picture, on the right near the bottom of the pattern pictures)

Just a few suggestions - you could also find free patterns from various fabric manufacturer's websites: Moda's website, Michael Miller's website, Free Spirit, or just go here http://awelldressedkitchen.homestead...icsources.html and float around the different websites - most have free patterns and they tend to be easier patterns.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Zen

Thanks for the suggestions!

I took a look at the Yellow Brick Road pattern and that's not really my brother 's (or almost sister-in-law's) taste.

I really like the look of the block in a block with white stripping in between. That could work with a lot of different block patterns and wouldn't be too complicated. I'll have to think about it.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Welcome! There have been some great black and white quilts posted here in the pictures section.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 PM

Welcome from Indiana!

Sometimes the hardest part of making a quilt is deciding what pattern (if any) to use....
Old 10-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Welcome from Indiana!

Sometimes the hardest part of making a quilt is deciding what pattern (if any) to use....
Here, Here!!! Sometimes it takes me longer to choose the pattern than the fabric!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 AM

Hi Zen and welcome from Mass. Alot of black and whites here . Take a look at pictures. I did one Black and White And Red all over In Triangles no less.