Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from South Gippsland, Australia >

Hello from South Gippsland, Australia

Hello from South Gippsland, Australia

Old 12-31-2014, 05:57 PM

Default Hello from South Gippsland, Australia

Hi everyone.

I was trolling through image after image the other day looking for some inspiration, and I came across a link to this site, in particular the "Think Outside the Block" pattern. I was amazed at the assistance from everyone!

I live in a small town in South Gippsland. Its a beautiful place to live. I have recently discovered a group of women who quilt, predominately with an embroidery machine (which I do have), but I'm a little old fashioned and love to hand piece and hand quilt. I did use my embroidery machine once to make a quilt for my brother, but decided that I preferred to hand craft rather than watch a machine do it for me. But it will still be nice to be able to sit around with a group of women who share my passion.

I learnt to quilt about 4 years ago. I'd moved to a tiny town in South Australia, and was wandering the "main" street - you could walk it in about 1 minute!! But low and behold, there was a craft shop! So of course I entered to have a browse.

There was a group of women of all ages sitting around a table in the back of the shop. Being a small town, they were all very friendly. Invited me to sit down for a cuppa and a chat, which involved what particular craft I enjoyed. They were all busily hand piecing the whole time. I was intrigued by the beautiful blocks they were making so on a whim I asked if they held lessons. The very next Saturday afternoon, I was there, armed with fabric, needles and thread, ready to tackle something new. Needless to say I was hooked. My first quilt was a sampler and was entirely hand pieced and quilted, and took just over 4 months to complete. And as they as the rest is history. I now have a fabric stash that is outgrowing the chest it lives in, and countless challenges as my skill progresses.

I've since ordered the "Think Outside the Block" pattern, have ordered some beautiful fabrics in shades of browns and blues. I'm somewhat impatient for it to arrive so that I can get started!!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:09 PM

Welcome! Sounds like you found a great group to pull you into the quilting hobby!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:16 PM

Welcome from snowy and cold South Dakota. How lucky you were to stumble on the shop and meet a new bunch of friends. The hobby of quilting will open doors where ever you go. Glad you found QB -- you will learn lots here and "meet" many new friends.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:17 PM

Welcome from Central California! This is a great place to find any kind of quilting you would like to do. The international community here is great for inspiration and help when needed. I love the small towns in Australia; many seem to have a craft center. Even though I was just visiting, the people in these centers were so friendly and welcoming; I know you will love being part of that group and this online community as well.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:48 PM

Welcome from cold and rainy Florida!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:59 PM

Welcome from South Louisiana.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:53 AM

Hello and welcome from Queensland.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:09 AM

Welcome to another fine group of crafters and enjoy!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting