Hello

Old 07-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I am new to the quilting world and stumbled across this website in my internet ramblings. Everyone seems so friendly and nice. :)
I live in WA state, am retired, and finally have the time to learn how to quilt. I am a little intimidated yet to start my first quilt,( I have only done a few 9 patch mini quilts so far ) and have so many different ideas that I do not know where to start!
I am a fabric and notions junky, :oops: on a recent trip to visit my son in KY I asked him about quilt shops and bless his heart he had done some inquiring and I came home with a bag of fabric and a new book, LOL.
My grandkids go home in 3 days and I am going to start cutting out my first lap quilt. I guess the key must be to just jump in with both feet and do it. :lol:
Old 07-29-2007, 10:53 AM

Amma,
I retired in 'o1 and after we moved I started quilting. I basically taught myself how to quilt and then took a couple of classes to fill in what I missed. :lol: My sister lives in Seattle and I was up there visitingfor two weeks this spring. I mailed home 5 priority boxes of fabric. Fabric shopping is so much fun! (especially for us fabric-a-holics!)
Don't be intimidated just jump on in. You have found a wonderful world to be retired in! Trust me!!! If you have any questions just post them and you will find lots and lots of answers. Everyone on this site is so nice about helping!
Again, Welcome to the world of quilting.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the kind and encouraging reply. I do watch all the quilting shows on tv and spend a lot of time watching QNN and have picked up lots of tips and techniques. I figure the worst case scenario is I will end up doing a lot of reverse sewing :D I appreciate being able to ask questions here and I am looking into classes in my area. I live 1/2 way between Seattle and Portland, OR and I may have to take the classes when visiting my children/grandchildren outside of Portland. Hmmmm, another reason to get to play and spoil the grandkids, LOL. Thank You, again!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:33 PM

Amma, Welcome! Jump in with both feet! this is where you get to play with scissors, hot irons, and needles just like the rest of us! There are quite a few shops I bet between Seattle and Portland. You could do a google of quilt shops and probably get quite a few listings. Again, Welcome! :D
Old 07-29-2007, 12:54 PM

Welcome from New Zealand :) , you have stumbled upon the bestest quilting board around, everyone here is very friendly and helpful and I'm sure you'll enjoy your adventure into the world of quiltmaking
Old 07-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I thank both of you for your wonderful welcomeand encouragement!
I spent the last 2 hours narrowing my first project down to a few choices while the grandkids slept...I should have done some housework :roll: and have committed to making up my mind and picking up last minute items Tues when I take the little ones home and starting on it Wed. Can't wait to play with the fabric, needles and iron, etc.... :) I feel like a kid at Christmas time.....
Old 07-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I guess the key must be to just jump in with both feet and do it. :lol:
That was the key for me. I started quilting 3 years ago... self-taught. I just decided to go for it! I have tried a lot of different patterns and techniques. Just experiment and have fun... and ask questions! My online quilting friends have been a huge help to me! You need to post pictures of the quilts you have made so far.

Barb C
Old 07-29-2007, 03:13 PM

amma, you will now be totally hooked!!! :lol:
Old 07-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

Thank you, too. I guess you could say I am going for the sink or swim approach, too :-) I wish I had taken pictures but I did not have a digital at the time and did not even think about scanning them........... they were miniture 9 patch quilts, I was practicing my seams and matching up the corners, learning there is a difference between pressing and ironing, LOL. ( I understand that is one rule that MUST be followed :lol: ) I donated them to a local charity and was pleased that they sold well.
I am going to go looking at everyone's pictures of blocks and quilts, I do so enjoy seeing what others have made and are working on.
Thanks again!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:00 AM

I do too!! I got thru page one so today I'll look at a few more pages. I can say I have only done a few minitures and they were for auction for the quilt guild I used to belong to. They are actually harder to do than a regular quilt!!!