hello

Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 AM

Hi Everyone
I stumbled onto this site because I was looking for a quilting foot for my sewing machine! I'm new to quilting....I'm actually a terrible sewer but I love to sew and make things. I really want to learn how to machine quilt my quilts instead of paying someone else to do it! LOL so last night I ordered a book and am now looking for a quilting foot for my machine. I've only made a few quilts but have many projects in mind for many more! :-) if anyone knows where I can get a quilting foot for a Brother XR-52 , please let me know.....I'd be so greatful! thanks and looking forward to hanging around here!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 AM

Hi from Massachusetts, and welcome.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:56 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Welcome from south Louisiana. You are gonna love this forum. And by the way we LOVE to see pictures, would love to see some of your work.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:59 AM

Welcome from NE CA. Glad you joined us. There's lots of friendly, talented people on board who will help in any way they can, just ask. Please tell us a little more about yourself and we love pictures.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 AM

thanks for the warm welcome ladies! I've only made 5 quilts, 2 of them were gifts and I don't think I could find a picture of them anywhere! I will take a picture of the one I did for my bed and post that later. I am married, have 2 children and a cat. My daughter will turn 4 next month and my son is 16 months. I live in the East (I don't usually post exactly where as I worry about safety a bit too much!) I'm a working mom and don't get much time to sew. I've had to give up working out in order to get some sewing done for our upcoming Disney trip and to finally get my son's quilt finished. It's just a super simple quilt made of 5.5 inch blocks. It's getting machine quilted right now and I'll post a pic when it's back in my hands and I've put the binding on. I want to make a nicer quilt for him and quilt it myself...that's my next project! any pointers? I still need to find that quilting foot........
Old 09-01-2009, 05:14 AM

*Waves from Iowa* :)

For the foot you could check the brother site they should have a list of accessories for your specific machine,
just put in your model # in the search box and away you go,
or you could try eBay they have tons of diff feet for all sorts of machines.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from upstate NY.

Here is a link for the darning foot which you would use for FMQ

http://www.sew4less.com/product_deta...ProductID=4096

And here is the link for the walking foot

http://www.sew4less.com/product_deta...ProductID=7968
Old 09-01-2009, 05:56 AM

OHH thank you! now what is the difference between the walking foot and the darning foot? I want to FMQ, which is just kind of doing your own thing on the quilt, right? so if that's what I want to do then thats the foot for me, correct? what doe sthe walking foot do differently? thanks so much for your help!

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Welcome from upstate NY.

Here is a link for the darning foot which you would use for FMQ

http://www.sew4less.com/product_deta...ProductID=4096

And here is the link for the walking foot

http://www.sew4less.com/product_deta...ProductID=7968
Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Hi Rymer,

The walking foot is for doing straight quilting using the feed dogs. You would use this for SID, straight outline quilting, like a 1/4" echo from your seams or an all over straight grid. The walking foot acts like a regular presser foot but has an attaching lever (for lack of a better word, sometimes looks like a tuning fork) which attaches to the needle shank, the part of your sewing machine that holds the needle. This allows the foot to move up and down with your needle "walking" along the quilt sandwich ensuring even feed of top and bottom layers.

The darning foot also known as a big foot, open foot and I have even heard it referred to as an embroidery foot you use with the feed dogs disengaged or in the "down" position. The quilt sandwich is moved under the needle by you, the machine does no movement of the quilt sandwich because the feed dogs are down. This is the foot for FMQ which is things like the meander (aka stippling), circles, pebbling, feathers, or any free motion design where you want to quilt in any direction.

Check out Leah's free motion quilt blog for more info on FMQ. She did a great job putting this together and gives lots of inspiration and hints for FMQ. Her blog is http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/
Old 09-01-2009, 06:12 AM

The darning foot is for free motion, the walking foot is for when you're straight stitching when the quilt sandwich is together, or when you're working with fabrics such as corduroy.