Hello!!!

Old 08-04-2016, 09:11 AM

Default Hello!!!

I’m in California, and I’m very very new to everything. After deciding to teach myself to quilt (my local sewing shops aren’t offering any classes until September, and I want to get going NOW), I’ve been reading as much as I can online and watching videos etc. So glad to have found this board!

I bought a Janome Magnolia 7318 last month and have been setting up a sewing room. I’ve laid in a lot of basic supplies, including two extra Janome presser feet – a walking foot, and the clear presser foot with 2 metal flanges for ¼” and stitch-in-the-ditch seaming. My sweet husband helped me make a sewing table so my machine sits flush with the table top (an IKEA hack idea I found online).

I bought a quilt kit (60” x 60”), and have made it through the cutting, sewing, backing, sandwiching/pin basting stages without much trouble (yay – it’s so relaxing and fun!). I will mark it tonight, and will hopefully get it quilted this weekend.

I think I’m going to like quilting a lot. So much so that I’m already thinking ahead about upgrading to a better quilting machine. I really am impressed with my little Janome – so easy and intuitive to use, nice selection of included feet, nice stitches, etc. But I can see how helpful it would be to have some additional features like up/down needle positioning, a knee lifter bar, a start/stop button in addition to pedal control, and a decently-sized throat/harp. Adjustable presser foot pressure might be nice too. I don’t need lots of fancy stitches – heck, I think I’d be okay with just straight and zig-zag! Ideally I’d like a mechanical machine, and I’m quite happy to wait patiently for the right used / refurbished machine to appear. I’ve been researching about Berninas and Janomes, and though I’m really torn between the two, I’m kind of drawn to the Janome models because I really do like Janome’s up-top bobbin placement and because they are generally less pricey. But I’m having a hard time identifying a non-computerized model in either brand with the features I’m looking for. If anyone wants to suggest a good step-up model for me (older or current models) and/or trustworthy sources for such machines, I’m all ears.

Thanks for everything I’ve learned here already.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I don't have any experience with Janome machines so I can't suggest a step up model. It might help if you suggest a price range within your budget .
Old 08-04-2016, 09:38 AM

Thank you, Tartan.
Not sure/set on a price range. Maybe somewhere between $400-$1000? Would like to find a good used or refurbished machine in that range. Economy is good, as is recycling, but I'm willing to consider anything in that range.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:38 AM

Welcome from New Hampshire! I own two Janome machines and I like them a lot. You will thoroughly enjoy this message board. It is a treasure-trove of talented people. There are many skill levels here and many of the members are masters of their craft. The people are as nice as they can be and super-helpful. I look forward to seeing your posts.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Southern California. Just stay away from marking your quilt with any COLORED chalk. White chalk remove easily but the colors seem to stay imprinted on your fabrics. Good Luck. Bernina 1020 are mechanical, everything after that has been computerized.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:14 AM

Thank you SewingSew and ManiacQuilter2. About the chalk -- I have a silver chalk pen but may use painters tape to get started this first time out.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:48 AM

welcome and waving to you from Virginia
Old 08-04-2016, 10:59 AM

Wink

** Hi! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:07 PM

Hello, and thanks for the greetings!
Old 08-04-2016, 07:41 PM

Another welcome from Southern California!