Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Help from North Carolina!!! >

Help from North Carolina!!!

Help from North Carolina!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 AM

I am registered for a beginning quilting class next week as I will be a new "Grandmother" in July. I love quilts and have always wanted to learn how to make them. I work full-time, so I do not have a lot of time to spend days-on-end quilting. My job takes me out of town, so I could take hand-work with me. (If there is such a thing.) I am overwhelmed with all the information I have seen on the Internet as well as other media. Where do I begin? What supplies will I need? There are so many patterns! I love them all. I have a BabyLock sewing machine, but no quilting attachments. Where should I begin?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Cyn

I made a king size grandma's flower garden all by hand. It's called english paper piecing and travels beautifully!! Search for it and see what you think. If you like it, I'll help you thru it. Welcome from Jacksonville NC!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 AM

I would assume your class had a list of supplies needed. If not, I'd say start with a rotary cutter, ruler and mat. Look for simple block patterns on the internet to practice.

As for sewing machine attachments, a 1/4" foot is a great tool. Of course you don't have to have any fancy attachments. There are ways around all of it.

I don't like hand work except embroidery, but there are many, many things quilters can carry as hand projects. English paper piecing is very popular with some quilters.

Start small. Don't spend more than you are comfortable with. Many beautiful quilts were made long before all the fancy gadgets. Get a feel for how you like quilting and add tools as needed.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Hi and welcome.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 AM

When you say that your job takes you out of town, do you mean that you have to drive or fly? If you drive then NO PROBLEM! Get a small lightwieght machine and take it with you. I'd do my cutting at home.
If you fly then you might have to pack more hand-type work. You could always sew the blocks together and sandwich a baby quilt at home and take it with you to hand quilt on your down time in a hotel.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 AM

Hello from Oregon!
A few helpful items: rotery cutter and cutting mat. Seam ripper - my best friend, good little embrodery sissors to nip your thread if you are hand sewing (remember about airline rules if you travel that way). Before i bought my 1/4 inch foot for my machine I used the painters tape (or the stack of post-its) to mark the 1/4 inch sewing guide line. The hard part is deciding on the pattern and fabric. I have a hole list of "I wnat to make one like that". Keep us posted !
Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 AM

Welcome from Georgia, I travel with work as well and like to carry something with me. I also am a new granny, my little guy is 10 months old. I made him a qult that was half aplique and half pieces. I will try to find a photo of the quilt and post.

As to supplies, a mat to cut on, a rotery cutter, a good pair of cutting scissors, small embroidery scissors (fiskar has a curved point pair that I travel with), thread, seam ripper, and pins
Old 01-14-2011, 08:24 AM

Hello and welcome from Alabama. Start with the basics- cutting mat, rotory cutter, ruler 4x16 or 18. The rest will come with the addiction. Enjoy.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D

When you go to your first class, after it is done, ask the instructor/store workers for help with a hand project.
There are many EPP patterns that are easy to take on the go.

You can also hand piece any quilt pattern, people have been doing that for centuries :wink: