Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi from northern Ontario, Canada >

Hi from northern Ontario, Canada

Hi from northern Ontario, Canada

Old 02-12-2008, 04:06 AM
rb.

Hi, everyone. :mrgreen:

I've been looking at your quilt pics for days, and I figured I should finally register. See, I'll probably have some questions. :lol: I'm currently working on my first quilt top. It's in browns, using Royal Cross blocks. I'm doing all the piecing by hand, as I have no permanent home for my machines, and I hate hauling them up and down the stairs. I like just being able to sit down and do half an hour of work, if that's all the time I have. I find hand piecing much more relaxing than sitting hunched at a machine. Slow going, though. I intend on hand quilting as well. Oh, and I'm a Ginny Beyer fan. I've got her book on hand piecing/quilting, and I recently bought her book on colour confidence. Very, very interesting.

Anyway, that's me. Love all of your work, and I hope to be far enough ahead to pick your brains for info...soon...maybe. :D

unpressed Royal Cross, hand-pieced
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1907[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1907.jpe  
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 AM
rb.

Oh, forgot to add: I've been sewing since I was a kid, having made many of my own clothes. Between my two daughters, 10 and 12, we have 4 sewing machines and a serger. (Oh, how I love my serger!) They both play at sewing, the 12 year old is exceptionally creative...in a good way. :wink: I could see her going into a career in design.

I'm also colour challenged, to put it kindly. I've learned that I need to defer to my husband when choosing colours, initally, in our home. Once he's chosen the paint colours, I'm ok accessorizing, but you should see some of the disasterous things I've come up with in the way of colour here if left on my own. It would make you nauseous. :lol: That's why I had to buy a book on colour.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:30 AM

Welcome to the board, it's nice to meet a fellow Ontarion. Your block is beautiful! :)

Where in Ontario are you? I'm in N.W. Ontario, near the Manitoba border.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:49 AM

Welcome! So happy to have you aboard!

I really love that block! The fabrics you used are spectacular. Make more! Your first quilt is going to be a stunner! :shock:
Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 AM
rb.

Thanks, everyone!

Shadow Dancer, I'm at the eastern end of Superior, in the Sault. Are you in the Dryden or Kenora area? Or closer to the US? I've been through that area, driving, many times as we used to live in BC, though I'm from here. NW Ontario is beautiful. Betcha' the fabric shops are pretty few and far between, though, eh?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 AM

Hey rb, i'm from BC, and new to the forum too...i loooove your block, it is going to look spectacular, cant wait to see it finished...welcome to the forum
Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
rb.

Hi, Barb. Thanks. :D

We were just out in your neck of the woods in October, visiting my in laws. Wish I'd had more time to spend in those fabric shops out there. :wink:
Old 02-13-2008, 11:56 AM

Welcome RB! I love your royal cross block, very stunning!

I am a fan of Jinny Beyer also. She has a CD to go with her hand piecing book. I haven't gotten it, although it's one of those things that has been on my list for quite awhile, and I hear it is very informative.
~Tiffany
Old 02-17-2008, 06:58 PM

hi! I'm here in St. John's, Newfoundland. I am new here too. I registered only 3 days ago and I'm hooked and addicted already!! I think we will have a nice warm home here in this forum!!! I'm looking forward to a wonderful stay here!

Cheers
Andrea
Old 02-17-2008, 08:20 PM

That is a beautiful block rb, and we're glad you've decided to join in with us!