Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hiya from Hope, AR--cathedral windows twenty eons project

Welcome from northern California!
    Janet L52

Howdy and welcome, from Texas!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

welcome from Camden, Arkansas...
    Lise

Just move back to Chattanooga, TN from Brunswick, Georgia
    Hello from Coastal Georgia, Mom and Dad are old razor backs from Newark and Cherokee Village.
    I have down a CW project using black cotton and jewel tones for window. I loved how it turned out.
    Name:  Catheral_wallhanging.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  240.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Hello, welcome from Oklahoma!!!

Thanks for the welcome and the inspiration for my project!

Blog Entries
    Hi Jeanice,

Welcome from the Lakes Region of New Hampshire.

My dear friend, Debbie, and I are currently working on Cathedral Window quilts and are using the traditional muslin backing. I am using 100% cotton fabric for my windows …every ‘window’ a different color and/or print. Debbie is using a variety of fabrics, all different colors and prints. She has silks, cottons, flannel, etc. It is coming out beautifully! Remember, Cathedral Window is a very old pattern and the women then used varies scraps of fabric, whatever they had on hand, in their quilts. What we have both done which may be a little different; we stitched a small square of ‘Warm & Natural’ batting behind each ‘window’ square of fabric. It gives each window a little substance and adds extra overall warmth to the quilt.

Many quilters today use a variety of backing materials and colors, including jeans. There are no quilting do’s or don’t here, you are free to use what you like. I personally find it very endearing to use traditional vintage patterns and fabrics.

I am sure whatever you use will be beautiful! Will all your windows be the same silk fabric throughout or will you be using different colors and patterns of silk?

Have fun; it goes slow if you do it by hand as we are, but we find it relaxing and a great travel project.

Nancy
    You can choose to live your live as though nothing is a miracle; or as though everything is a miracle!

Hi Jeanice, and Welcome to the Quilting Board from a quilter in sunny Nevada! We're a great group here, and I hope you find yourself right at home.

I was thinking about your silk Cathedral Windows, and thinking that if your fabric is a bit too fragile for a quilt, perhaps you could do it as a foundation piece. With something permanent like another fabric as a background, and the silk stitched on top of that, there would be no concern for stretching or sagging out of shape. Just a thought. Paper piecing wouldn't have the same advantage because the paper is isn't permanent, it's removed obviously.

Would really love to see that project as a photo when finished!

Cheers!
    MacThayer

Banned
    Greetings from New Hampshire

Blog Entries
    Hello there & Welcome to our Quilting Board from the state of Washington!! I can't answer your question, but I am sure that you will gain a lot of knowledge from everyone on here. We all love to share.
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast