Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
I am new and have a question >

I am new and have a question

I am new and have a question

Old 07-02-2009, 05:18 AM
Banned

Welcome from Washington
Old 07-02-2009, 06:47 AM

Wow! Such fantastic ideas, and so quick! I have a feeling it will be a long time until the show! I want to do all this now. Unfortunately the show is not til the last week of April and the first week of May. I will post pics after the show. My daughter is a professional photographer, and will take pics for me.

You have so many great ideas, I don't know how we can begin to use them all. But, please don't stop with the suggestions, we don't have alot of space, so some may not fit, but others will be perfect. If we have too many great ideas, and we wow the work community this time, maybe the next quilt show will have to be in a larger space, and we will need more display ideas!

I had to laugh about the ideas for my (hopefully not) unfinished quilt - how creative to make it look planned and to put in a frame or on a sewing machine! I love it. If I do (please, Lord) get my quilt done, we may have to find a quilt that is not done, just so we can do these ideas!

We have talked of doing a white glove thing, and having someone in the room at all times. I had thought of doing a project we could be working on while we are there. So, if we do just have things (please not my unfinished quilt) sitting around, they should be safe.

If you all don't mind, I think I will post pics of my quilt as I go, so that I will be more accountable to get it done in time. My dear husband is working on getting a small sewing space for me so hopefully in a few days I will actually have somewhere to work, that will help.

My quilt is based on the Christmas card my daughter sent to her clients, friends and family last year. It features my 6 grandchildren on a couch, in the middle of a field. Their precious faces so animated as they sit there chatting with each other.

As soon as I saw the pic, I knew I had to make a quilt. For 6 months now, the design has been rattling around in my head, and I have been collecting supplies, and drawing out the pattern. Then, the idea of a Staff Quilt Show came up, and I was put in charge of it. So, I decided I have to have a great quilt to put in the show.

I think I am ready to go with my pattern and at least the beginning of supplies. And now that I will have space to work in, I don't have too many excuses (forget the 2 jobs and church, teaching sewing to our church school girls, moving Mom to an assisted living and watching the kids while my daughter does weddings, senior pics, etc) not to find a few ours a week at least to work on it.

The title of my quilt is "1 couch plus 6 kids = ?" which will be spelled out in big bright alpha buttons. The answers to that question will be spelled out in small alpha beads all over the quilt. If anyone (since you are all so very creative - this is the perfect group to ask) has an answer for me, please let me know. So far I have about 3 dozen answers, like "promises & pranks", "silly stories", "wiggles & giggles", etc.

Oh, to answer a few questions about the show: all quilts will be on sleeves, and be hung with PVC. One of the participants is a past president of our cities quilt guild, so she said that would be best, and I am following her guidance. We also have one in our group that just placed in the top 10 in a national contest. So, as you see, it should be a fantastic show, I just pray I can head it up as well as it deserves.

Anyway, thanks for all the fantastic ideas - I will keep you posted how the show and my quilt are going. Have a great day everyone!