Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
janome sewing machine >

janome sewing machine

janome sewing machine

Old 12-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Hi! I am new to the Message Board and basically new to Quilting. I have hand quilted small projects and started on a quilt for our bed, however, it hasn't been completed yet. I need to purchace a new sewing machine and would like an opinion on the Janome sewing machines. I want something easy to use and also the option of doing embroidery with the machine if I should choose. Any ideas? Thanks, MiMi DeeDee
Old 12-22-2007, 09:34 PM

I've heard great things about Janome, and recently bought the Sears version made by them. All the Janome owners I spoke to were pleased with their machines. I had NO luck with Singers, and Brothers are getting a bad reputation. Sit down and try the machines. Ask questions - what accessories are included? If you are able, it is better to buy a better machine, as over its lifetime, your sewing needs may grow and change.

It all comes down to what will fit your needs and what you can afford. This time of year, you may want to ask for price protection, in case it goes on sales after the new year, and make sure they will refund you the difference.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:10 AM

Hi MiMi. Welcome to the board! I've had my Janome 6600MC for a year now, and she's my new best friend. They're a very sturdy machine and I've had no problems at all. I agree with everything Moonpi wrote. Find a local dealer with classes, it's the best thing to give you peace of mind. After all, it's a big investment! By embroidery, do you mean sewing the crazy-quilt type stitches by machine? Or the bigger embroidery patterns you can get as downloads, etc?
Old 12-23-2007, 03:16 PM

MI MI, Hello & Welcome I have a Janome Memory Craft 4800 computerized,It's 2 yrs. old- I LOVE IT!! So easy to use I have many different feet I have bought, they are easy to attach & use. I really think you"d be happy with one. Good Luck, you'll love this site lots to learn & pictures people share are great. :D
Old 12-24-2007, 08:23 AM

:mrgreen: Welcome abord....glad you join us....The janome has a good reputation and most of the people are happy with them...I have an old janome ...and somehow I mennaged to break the gear and then discover that the gear was really a very cheap plastic........, I also read some bad reviews about the Janome 1500...the one that does straigh stitch only and free motion.....It seems has some tention problems....
I own a brother XR65 with extansion table that I really love...
I bought the brother PQ1500 two days ago,since I wasn't interested in embroidery machine but more in the stippling....
What ever you choose, make sure you have service available for your machine.
...My mother in low has two brother machines for more than 20 years and they both works...and she really uses them......a lot.....
If you thinking to make big quilts....make sure you buy a machine with a big throat....
Good luck
Old 12-25-2007, 06:45 AM

Thank you for responding so quickly to my question about the Janome sewing macine! And..."Merry Christmas" to eveyone! :D I am planning a trip to check them out! And, thank you for welcoming me aboard! We have a new granddaughter (our only grandchild) for Christmas this year, she's almost nine months old so we are looking forward to celebrating today!
To answer the question about what type of embroidery, I want something I can use to embroider larger patterns that I can purchase or download free for my granddaughter and myself. :D
Old 12-25-2007, 06:54 AM

:lol:
If I would have a granddaughter..I would go for the janome 6600......
I have two grown up sons...They are not much into embroidery.....
Have fun....I must ask santa for a granddaughter next year....
Old 12-25-2007, 07:55 PM

I have the Singer Futurea CE 100 it dose regular sewing and is also an embroidery machine.
Would like a Janome someday but now this is what I can afford.

I suggust go to differnt sites and read as much as you can about the differnt machines and check the prices and get the one that best fits your needs for what you can afford.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:30 PM

Hi! For sewing (quilt piecing and machine quilting) alone I love the Janome 6600. The dual feed makes all of the difference in the world.

I have used singer, janome, and brother embroidery/sewing machines. To be politically correct... I love the Brothers. I have the 4000D and the PR600.

Good luck to you.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 PM

Location: Living the dream. Part of the year in the east and part of the year in the west

Hi I have a 23 year old Janome Memory Craft 6000--I have had a fabulous time with it for 23 years and just started quilting last year--I do machine foundation piecing and have tried some applique work with it and it has been and is great. I have probably used it more in the last year than in the previous 23 as I retired and learned to quilt and have just completed the top of my third quilt. I haven't tried to sandwich or machine quilt the quilts with my machine as the space isn't big enough. I have done some lap quilts and so far it has worked well even without a walking foot!!