Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Let me introduce myself. >

Let me introduce myself.

Let me introduce myself.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:31 PM

Hi everyone, I stumbled across this site about a year ago. And finally got up the courage to post a message. I'm a retired LPN, daughter of a quilter, mother of 3, grandmother of 5 and wife of my wonderful husband. I grew up in Ohio but now live in southern California. I've done a lot of sewing over the years for my self and my children mostly. My mother was a wonderful quilter and I helped her many times with hand quilting on her projects. My Mom passed away 3 years ago and I inherited all of her material. I want to learn to quilt so I sew up her material instead of letting it sit in a box in the closet. I think I need a new machine before I really get into this too far. My machine is probably 50 years old. It is a Singer slant-o-matic 401. But I don't really know what I need. Anyone have any suggestions?
:D Thanks for your help.
Quilters dgt.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:17 PM

If you have a singer 401 you have a great machine. these are great for quilting. a used one is worth about 200. Here is a link to a site where everyone is a slant needle machine owner. I also have a 401.,it is a work horse and I just love it

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/singerslantsewing/

Welcome to this site, a great place to meet friend and have your every ques answered R :D
Old 08-09-2007, 02:16 PM
lin

First of all, welcome quilterdgt! So glad to have you here. :) I think it's wonderful that you want to honor your mother by putting her things to good (and beautiful) use. :) I think your 401 might just be perfect for what you want to do as long as it's been maintained well. I have a Featherweight 221 and a Singer 301 and I use them all the time to piece my quilts. I take turns with them as well as my mom's 50+ Necchi and my new Juki. No one gets left out at my house. LOL Give it a try, and I hope it all works well for you! :)
Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 AM

Hello and welcome, is very nice to meet you. Glad you got the courage up to introduce yourself, we're really not too scary, well not often anyway :lol:
As for your lovely old machine, I wouldn't part with an older machine for anything, they sure don't make sewing machines like they used to.

Plenty to see and talk about here, everyone is very friendly and helpful, once you get going don't forget to post pics of your work, we love to see every bodies work.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:02 PM

Hi all I am new to this site and love to quilt. Hope to enjoy all of your quilters company.Am still finding my way around. Have been quilting for 10years now and am learning something new every day. Am busy with a calico single bed quilt for a shop that is opening in town soon. Have it all tacked together and will now start quilting it if I can get off this cute computer. :lol:
Take care and keep stitching
Old 08-11-2007, 06:53 AM

Well, hello to both of you, Quiltersdgt and SewSue. Glad you hopped on board. Truth be told, I have an old workhorse as well in my little Bernina. Is in the shop right now , but should come back with a another 30+ years of work. Take your time to find what you really want. You may try www.sewingmachines.com for a comparison of machines and features you may be interested in.
Can't hardly wait to see pictures of your work. We always love those. Funny how this'puter gets so addictive...almost like quilting.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:05 PM

I have just recently had my nina serviced and am now enjoying my sewing again. I have recently joined a real traditional patchworking group that does all their work with a sewing machine. So now I have to haul my nina with me too all the meetings, for sewing. Just love the sewing and learning a lot of new patchwork blocks. Just love my patchwork and quilting.