Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Longarms & Quilting >

Longarms & Quilting

Longarms & Quilting

Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM

Question Longarms & Quilting

Hello:
I am hoping for inspiration and knowledge on this thread. I am hoping to purchase a used Innova or HQ long arm in good condition. I have always hand quilted but now realize that I cannot possibly finish all the quilts I need to make unless I get a long arm to help me. Now the question, how do I go about picking the right machine at the right price?
C
Old 09-26-2014, 01:30 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 09-26-2014, 02:49 AM
Power Poster

Visit dealers and quilt shows where they have display models they let you try out, check with a guild, sewing group, local quilt shops to see if anyone who owns one is close to you'll and willing to let you check it out. And { you do not need to invest the money or the space for a longarm in order to machine quilt your quilts -- there are many 'big name/famous' quilters who quilt on their regular domestic sewing machine} check again, locally for machine quilting classes while you research the longarm machines
Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 09-26-2014, 04:54 AM

Grrrr, I just wrote a book to you, hit the wrong button on my iPad and lost it all! Okay, here we go again.

I have been a long arm quilter for 10 years. When I started I did not know any other LA quilters to ask for help, there was no training in my area. I purchased the A-1 and have always been very blessed with my choice since I was so ignorant going in. In your case that is more machine than you are looking for I think. Here are things to consider: TRAINING. Very important. Loading a quilt squarely is even more important than the quilting! How is your back? Can you stand on your feet for long periods of time? I can sit and quilt but I do my best work while standing. Also ask yourself, what is the largest quilt I will ever quilt? If is is just baby and lap quilts, get the smaller frame, easier to load and does not take up an entire room in you home.
If you buy used there will not be training included, and if you have to pay for training please do. I would not wish learning the hard way, like I did, on anybody! There are some good DVDs also, Linda Taylor comes to mind immediately, also Jamie Wallen. Test drive that puppy and compare, compare. Some machines are like moving a moose, some like herding cats. You want the movement to be smooth without any forceful pushing on your part. I have heard good things about the Innova although I have never personally tried one. I did push around a HQ at my Bernina dealer and it seemed stiff to me, but I am used to a professional machine that moves like it is on glass.
Be careful in your decision, buyer's remorse is such a painful process. Find out why this person is selling her machine, don't jump on it. Once you have it, PPP (practice practice practice) and good luck with your decisions! It will take about a year to really relax and have fun, but once you get there, it is a real TRIP! Blessings to you and may our precious Lord guide you in your quest.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:05 AM

welcome from se TX
Old 09-28-2014, 04:09 AM

Yes go to the show and test them all....some offer payments...you may not have to buy used..but used is fine..i am familiar with APQS Handiquilter and BBylock and just came back from Salt Lake City last week for training...it was great fun...you are going to love it...lots to learn and lots of different ways to do things...
Old 10-02-2014, 06:40 AM

Welcome from OHIO! I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice on a long arm here. I have a Viking Mega Quilter (mid-arm) and a ten foot frame which is what I could afford without going into debt. I would love to move up to a long arm, but it may be awhile.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:59 PM

Howdy from Oklahoma! Welcome to the Board. I'm using garage sale quilt tops to practice on & collecting pantographs as I go. I've only had my long arm about 5 months & still learning. Will begin quilting my work in the spring when I feel more proficient. It's a Tin Lissy (using "s" because the last letter of the alphabet doesn't work on this laptop) and it is very smooth to operate. Hope this helps!
DJ
Old 10-05-2014, 01:55 PM

Welcome and waving from Colorado