Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A lurker coming out

I have been following the quilters' forum for over a year trying to learn how to be a good quilter like all of you here.

I enjoy hand piecing and hand quilting doll quilts and have all of Kathleen Tracy's books, some patterns and squares.

Because I am self-taught I have stayed in hiding hoping one day to make the perfect quilt but finally came to realize that may never be. Sometimes it's all about the journey and I do learn something new each time.

Now the beginning of my quilting story...we did a survey job for an older couple (81 years old) and when I stepped up on her porch I saw the sewing machine set up and ask her what she was sewing and she brought out some log cabin squares. That was the beginning. She has been giving me quilting lessons since and lets me quilt with her on a queen size quilt on a frame that belonged to her grandmother but has been added on to to hold a bigger quilt than full size. Before this I didn't use a thimble, hoop or frame. I do use my thimble now but am still fighting with my hoop.

Sadly she is dying of lung cancer and I can see her slowly fading away and it makes me sad.

She has given me a winter assignment and I am making a table runner with her fabrics and making my own templates.
    Really I think she just wants me to have a part of her and I am working on this instead of my Christmas gifts so she can see a little of my work before the snow arrives.

Her granddaughter who lives out West has contacted my daughter (they played softball together in high school) to say 'thank you' but really I am getting something out of this quilting journey myself.

Now I'm going to hit the 'send' and wipe the tears from my eyes.

Senior Member Aprilisslowlylearnlytoquilt's Avatar
    Welcome, and what a wonderful story, made me have tears myself.

What a touching story. I can't wait to see your first project. Welcome from Georgia.

Hello and welcome from MO.

Hello eyes, welcome from Mass. It is amazing what joy you feel when you give as you are. Bless you.

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    What a wonderful experience for both of you!

Blog Entries
    Your story made me catch my breath. What a lovely gift.....from both of you. Welcome from the Sunshine state.

Blog Entries
    Hello, welcome from Oklahoma!!!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from NE Ohio, and I want to say thank you also, for putting meaning into her life and giving her purpose to go on. THANK YOU.

:thumbup:

To find someone to share your love of crafts with, is truly a blessing for you both.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast