Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Never qilted before HELP >

Never qilted before HELP

Never qilted before HELP

Old 06-27-2009, 06:21 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

I just watched simply quilts every morning (and still do!) read anything i could get my hands on from buying magazines and borrowing from the library. Learnt so much from the talented people on this forum :D .
I did simple blocks first to get cutting accurate and piecing accurate..do a simple nine patch first or a quilt as you go.. these are things i did first to build up my skills so I wouldnt get discouraged when i found things too hard. I made small wallhangings first and then baby blankets to practice things like binding etc so i wouldnt waste heaps of fabric making mistakes.
At the moment i am making a baby quilt with disappearing 9 patch pattern and in between i am also making a drunkards path. i take my time and dont rush. These are all things that worked for me. Hope you work out all your issues and above all enjoy quilting.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 PM

Welcome from Southern California
Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM

Hi thanks so much for you message ,I have got the machine, I went for a 5 hour lesson on friday the 31st on paper piecing, but the truth is I am struggling and also I am really David my wife is Paula and she bought me the husqvarna,as I was a motor mechanic all my life but last year january I broke both my rotator cuffs and tore some muscles and they are beyond repair,so no heavy stuff for me.My Mom was a great dress maker and as a kid I would help her un pick or some times put up hems fort her ,so in honour of her memory I am trying,though I must say she never quilted,I know she would have loved it,I do not remember hearing of quilting in Rhodesia those days.
Sorry if I got carried away
David Hattingh
Old 08-02-2009, 02:28 PM

We welcome men here also! Ask away when you have questions. Someone will be able to help. I have a Janome, so I can't help with the machine. :lol:
Old 08-02-2009, 05:15 PM

Welcome from Southern California. We love to see where everyone is from. If you go into My Profile and fill in the FROM category, it will show up when you make posts.