Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New here; worthwhile to save worn out quilts? >

New here; worthwhile to save worn out quilts?

New here; worthwhile to save worn out quilts?

Old 06-11-2011, 09:51 PM

Looks like a lively site; great!
I've inherited a lot of quilts from my grandmother and some are definitely worth keeping but a few were made in the 30's during the depression. She used her kids old shirts to make some and some of that material is still ok while the rest has practically dissolved, leaving something that really can't be used anymore.
What's a reasonable outcome for old quilts like this? Burn it like an old flag that's served its purpose or what?
Thanks for any insight, been hanging on to these for a decade now.
John
Old 06-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

I have only one quilt made by my gr-grandmother, and although it is in bad shape, I cherish it and wouldn't get rid of it for any money. But if you have a lot, as you said, it wouldn't matter. If they are at all intact, you could cut some good spots out and make a couch/throw pillow. You could cut a piece from each one and make a commemorative display in a frame or shadow box. You could give them to an animal shelter to use for bedding, or toucan just throw them away too.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Welcome, John from the Bay Area of California!

Using the Search command under the title of the page, you can search on old or antique quilts to see what others have done. Predominant opinion is to save what can be saved, sometimes re-purposing the quilts into clothing, handbags, doll quilts, etc. Some folks cut them up, others just patch - depending on the historical value of the quilt or the sentimental value.

Bottom line - if you don't want them, ask others if they want them (especially online) since it is value in the eye of the beholder.

Glad you decided to join us and hope you show us some of what you have/ are doing.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM

Welcome!! I would agree with VickyS, If there are some you feel you just do not want please post them. There are soooo many quilters here who would cherish them. And I am sure, being a quilter myself, know grandmother would rather see the quilt/s with someone who would love them as she did. Just my humble opinion.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:17 PM

that's a good idea...i'll offer some to my cousin in case she's interested in doing something like that. Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:27 PM

There is a cardiologist in our area that has framed quilt blocks all thru the waiting area and exam rooms. They are beautiful and relaxing.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 PM

brilliant!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Hi and welcome from Victoria,in sunny Australia.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:40 PM

thanks, i'd put a shrimp on the bbq if i had one!
:thumbup:

...here in southern Oklahoma
Old 06-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Power Poster

if they are beautiful quilts with sentimental value- there are people out there who restore old quilts- if you are interested in restoring them there is an option- if you really have no interest in these worn out quilts---well- all things loved and used wear out sooner or later- you could pass them on- to a thrift shop- or donate them to a humane society-
you could even give them to some kids to make forts-
i would not burn them- my kids and grand kids can always find a use - even if it's using them for a drop cloth-or to cover the wood pile- useful is useful....and if it's a rag already---no harm no foul.