Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New from Mississauga, ON, Canada and have a question >

New from Mississauga, ON, Canada and have a question

New from Mississauga, ON, Canada and have a question

Old 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM

Hi, I've been lurking and reading messages for the last couple of months. I was really excited to find this board, as I've just had my first daughter and it is too difficult to get out to guild meetings where I live. I'm a really new quilter, although I remember helping my Mom quilt a couple quilts over the years.

I just went to purchase a walking foot for my sewing machine and found out that a walking foot won't work on the Brother LS-2125. Looks like it is time for me to upgrade. But the question is to what? My sewing space is quite limited (I literally have a sewing closet). I also sew clothing and other things for around the house. I just don't know where to start. Anyone have some advice for me? I'd like to purchase a machine that I won't outgrow.

Oh, I should mention, I don't have a lot of money tied up in accessories and such for the brother. I basically have some bobbins and a 1/4" quilting foot, so suggestions of another brand is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Tammy
Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

Welcome!!! from another Ontarian ... who doesn't live all that far from Mississauga!

I have a Janome Decor, which is only a few yrs old now. It wasn't overly priced IMHO, and had a lot of inclusions when I bought it. It's done everything I've asked it to do, so far!! However, I suspect sewing machines are like most things, and are outdated, and so mine is probably outdate now.

I know there aren't a lot of sewing machine specialty stores in your area. I'd really suggest that you take a drive to Guelph to Triangle Sewing. They specialize in machines ... have several types. Chances are they will take your machine as a trade. You can bargain with them a bit too. They have lots of machines on the floor, and will sit down and demo them to you ... and let you try them out too.

When it comes to servicing, they have an onsite technician. And yes, because you bought it there, you get prioritized over others who did not purchase from them.

They are the best .. and no, I don't work for them. I just know that I've been very happy for the two machines I have purchased from them and know that they have the best reputation and a most loyal following as a result!

Good Luck .... you're going to love this Board!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:34 PM

I think QuiltE has your answer. It really doesn't matter which machine you buy as long as you buy from a nearby reputable dealer who can do repairs. I have Vikings and am really happy with them. Our dealer has classes so that you can learn more about your machine which is helpful. You should look at "pre-loved" machines - all of the top of the line machines are being replaced every year now-a-days and hardly anyone NEEDS all the bells and whistles.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM

Hi Tammy, welcome from Minnesota! :)
Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Good to have you here!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM

Hi Tammy and welcome from northern California!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

welcome!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

I just checked their site and they sell Brother .... sooooooooo, take your machine to them and discuss the merits of keeping it, vs. trading up!

http://www.trianglesewing.on.ca/

Hint ... phone ahead and check that Nancy will be there to meet with you. She's the best!!!!!!! (and the owner!)
Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 PM

Welcome to you from Wonder Valley,California. Glad to have you!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM

Welcome from Maryland! This is the perfect place for answers. :thumbup: