Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie to quilting

8-) As my 2nd oldest sister asked when I retired in 2001 "what are you going to do now? you don't quilt or anything". Actually I did and do "anything" - I've just never gotten into quilting though I've always admired and loved quilts. Just not all the work that goes into them. It was a necessity in the family for generations. Two out of four of us sisters are quilters and do beautiful work. I have a quilt from my great-grandmother, my grandmother and two my mother made. And a couple from these quilting sisters. When I say I don't piece and quilt the tops that's not to say I never have. I did finish up an applique quilt from my stepgrandmother and quilted it probably 40 yrs ago-fact think I still have it, worn out and used to cover flowers in the winter. A few years ago I got the bug and cut lot of pieces (thought I owed it to my sons & grandchildren to make each one), sewed lot of pieces together and put them away labeled in zip lock bags when I got really swamped with another project. Pulled them out the other day and discovered that one set of squares I'd cut with the seam allowance and the other set w/o. Had enough cut for various other quilt patterns so decided to do one I've always loved - but not named from a magazine -only all the dimensions are different and will need to cut triangles to fill the 9 patch out to a 16" block. My brain went into overload trying to figure that out. My quilting friend had a great laugh when I told her what I'd done. My most experienced oldest sister (88) was encouraging about it and didn't laugh.

So here I am, at least I'm enjoying all the posted comments from others and hopefully I'll learn something but I'm not rushing full speed ahead now. I still have those other interests.

Blog Entries
    Welcome -- Keep working at it you will do fine. I have some blocks I made when I first started that must be 14 or 15 in. blocks,they are still in storage as they are so big I don't know what to do with them. (Well i didn't) Now I know, going to post them on here one day soon and see what others have to say. Got lots of wonderful people on this site.

Welcome to the board from Tennessee, you will get much encouragement from here. Happy quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtspools
    Welcome -- Keep working at it you will do fine. I have some blocks I made when I first started that must be 14 or 15 in. blocks,they are still in storage as they are so big I don't know what to do with them. (Well i didn't) Now I know, going to post them on here one day soon and see what others have to say. Got lots of wonderful people on this site.
    these blocks are of girl holding umbrella

welcome!

Thanks to all. Is there a Glossary for all of the abbreviations shown on the post? I'm at a lost to figure most of them out.

Great to have you with us. Welcome, Coco from Colorado :O)

Blog Entries
    Hello, and welcome from Idaho!

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

Blog Entries
    Hi :) Welcome from Minnesota!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast