Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
not new at quilting but new at this >

not new at quilting but new at this

not new at quilting but new at this

Old 11-28-2009, 12:30 PM
dsj

I'm not really sure how to introduce myself on a computer but here goes. Hi from Middle Tennessee. I am quite the dinosaur with everything that I do, I repair/restore quilts of all ages, I love anything that has to be done by hand. Most of my friends think I'm crazy as they are whipping out quilts left and right and I'm so jealous. I was wondering if there is someone else out there who might have this same passion as I do with the hand work ????

dsj
Old 11-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

Hi from Ohio.

I do EVERYTHING by hand, cut with a scissor, hand piece and quilt. Don't be jealous everyone does their own thing here which I really like. I would rather it take me a year to make one quilt then do it by machine. Others whip them up and then send them out to be quilted. Everyone is very talented in their own way. You will meet people of all types here and you will enjoy each and everyone as we all have so much to offer each other in the way of quilt tips and friendship.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:07 PM
dsj

nice to hear from you so soon trupeach. I just restored a postage stamp sunshine and shadows dating mid 1800-1870's. It was quite an undertaking but I loved every stitch of it. It was beautiful even in the worn condition that it was in. Over 5800 1 in. pieces overall. It was made with the madder fabrics originally. I replaced around 1500 pieces. The owner picked it up last week and I miss it already. I am repairing a cathedral window now all hand pieced. It's adorable. My sister just started to quilt within the last 2 mos. she has several tops pieced already and quilted half of them. She felt sorry for me and sent me a quilt top but I have to quilt it. Someday! Have a great day. dsj
Old 11-28-2009, 02:22 PM

Welcome to the board from North Carolina. You'll find all skill levels and techniques here but the great thing is we're all quilters no matter how we get the job done.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:39 PM
dsj

Hi Joan,

This is fun already. I never do anything on this machine it seems like once you get on it you can't get off of it. How do you get any quilting done? I consider this hand work too and I'm afraid I will get addicted to this. I can't wait to meet everyone. Have a good day.

dsj

Old 11-28-2009, 03:00 PM

Welcome from Southern California. There are all kinds of us folks here who like to do all kinds of different things. That's what makes life interesting and fun!!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:24 PM

I applaud all of you doing it all by hand. To me the ability to do it all by hand shows true talent. I'm too lazy for such work but love to see it.

Welcome to the board from Illinois and remember we LOVE pictures at any stage of the process. :)
Old 11-28-2009, 05:29 PM

Welcome from Florida! I hand quilted for years, but now I go for speed.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Hello, and welcome from Missouri! I hand quilt with the ladies at my church!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 PM
dsj

I am so far behind in the digital world of cameras and computers, probably because I spend all of my time hand quilting, pictures are a challenge to me. I have been banned from the family camera because I am a horrible photographer and no one ever has a head for some reason. It's quite sad and all videos that I film looks like we are in an earthquake. I need lessons in photography.