Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Posting from Washington, but am a Nebraska girl!!

Posting from Washington, but am a Nebraska girl!!

Have just retired, and starting to sort out patterns, books, fabrics, that I have been stashing
    for a very long time, thinking one day, I will have more time to sew.

I have a silly question for an experienced quilter, but if you find an idea for hand quilting
    a border etc. how does one transfer it from the magazine to my project? What is the easiest
    way?

I made a little table runner, from scraps, from some rose fabrics, and there are two blue
    bird appliques on it. I have handquilted what I want to do for the inner parts of the table
    runner, but I would like to do a little rose design, I found in an old magazine, and not sure
    how to proceed?

Thanks for help. Vicky

Hello and welcome to the board, from New Hampshire. I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone will.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Hi Vicky. And welcome from West Virginia. I have never transferred a design because I don't quilt my own quilts except the cross hatching of some baby quilts, but I have read that you can trace the design on tulle with a black permanent marker, then attach the tulle to your quilt in the area you want, then trace the design with your marker of choice, perhaps a mechanical pencil. Anyway, tracing over the tulle is supposed to make dots on your fabric that you can follow. I remembered this because I wanted to try it one of these days. If you don't get better advice on here, perhaps you can try this.

Happy quilting.
    Joyce
    Last edited by Retired GI Jo; 11-08-2011 at 01:43 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Blog Entries
    Lay some thin paper over the design and trace it. Then take a pin and make holes along the tracing. Place design where you want it and using chalk, go over the design. Should give you an outline to follow. Or you could use the new erasable pens to so your design wouldn't be lost as you sew.
    And welcome from Kansas.

Power Poster
    Hi from Ohio!
    SueDor

Welcome from Michigan!

Welcome from South Dakota

Welcome from Ontario, Canada!
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome to the board from Iowa.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by vickyscott@hotmail.com View Post
    Have just retired, and starting to sort out patterns, books, fabrics, that I have been stashing
    for a very long time, thinking one day, I will have more time to sew.

I have a silly question for an experienced quilter, but if you find an idea for hand quilting
    a border etc. how does one transfer it from the magazine to my project? What is the easiest
    way?

I made a little table runner, from scraps, from some rose fabrics, and there are two blue
    bird appliques on it. I have handquilted what I want to do for the inner parts of the table
    runner, but I would like to do a little rose design, I found in an old magazine, and not sure
    how to proceed?

Thanks for help. Vicky

Hello and welcome from Ontario, Canada.
    Make sure that whatever you use - mechanical pencil, quilting pencil - that you don't make it too dark and therefore difficult to remove.
    Andrea

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast