Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   crazy quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/crazy-quilter-t105368.html)

sueandsew 03-06-2011 05:42 AM

I'm new to site....a frustrated, self-taught quilter. Have made several, and struggled w/most of them. I'm now making a quilt for a middle aged man, pattern is 10 in. squares of diagonal strips alternating w/plain brown 10 in. squares. (sort of checkerboard pattern). Does anyone have suggestions for the actual quilting stitching on the diagonal strip squares and the solid brown squares?

erstan947 03-06-2011 05:50 AM

I'm not much help in the quilting dept. Just wanted to welcome you to the board. The current baby quilt I'm working on, I quilting in the ditch with a decorative stitch. That is about as daring as I get:)

sueandsew 03-06-2011 05:56 AM

Thanks a bunch erston! The first baby quilt I ever made, I quilted in a straight, diamond pattern on my old Kenmore sewing machine. In time, a lot of the stitches popped. Since then I've done hand quilting...a slow, enjoyable and relaxing process. Maybe someone else will have a pattern for me.

Lori B. 03-06-2011 06:32 AM

Welcome from Michigan. Sorry can't help with the stitching suggestions. I struggle with that too.

sueandsew 03-06-2011 07:04 AM

thanks Lori. It's great to be on here! Many sites are so user unfriendly I can't navigate them so i just give up. This one is fantastic.
Well maybe I didn't state clearly enough what I need. I have some ideas on the quilting stitches...maybe a large Shamrock in the middle of the brown squares,, or a fan pattern, scrolls, etc. but I need to do something that is masculine for this guy. He is paying me to make him this quilt, so I need to do a good job for him. Maybe I'll do straight lines on the strip squares; don't think a pattern would show up. Thanks everyone; you are awesome.

watterstide 03-06-2011 07:13 AM

Good Morning and Welcome from Michigan!

i would do a cross hatch pattern maybe..if you have quilters bar that attches to your walking foot, it should stay the same width apart..
what kind of baatting did you use? it should say on there the distance between quilt lines..

MinnieKat 03-06-2011 07:45 AM

Hi :) Welcome from Minnesota!

CarrieAnne 03-06-2011 07:55 AM

welcome!

sueandsew 03-06-2011 08:11 AM

Hi Kim, and thanks for reply. Actually I do only hand quilting...can't get into the machine quilting thing. I am "old school" I guess, like to do it like Mom and Grandma did. My older sister actually hand pieces her quilt tops, but I draw the line there!!! I piece on the sewing machine but after that, everything is done by hand.

quiltlonger 03-06-2011 08:28 AM

Hello from New York and way to go girl- HAND quilting thats a foreign language to me Longarmer here Check out some of the pictures under search for manly quilts to see some of the quilting.