Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Halloween - Time to introduce myself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/halloween-time-introduce-myself-t67865.html)

mac 10-02-2010 08:32 AM

Hi everyone,

My name is Mary Ann and I am embarrassed to admit that I've already been scoping out your website and have sent a few messages already, so I think now would be a good time to introduce myself -- better late than never.

This is my favorite month. Halloween is my birthday and, to me, Halloween starts off all of the family holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanza, Boxing Day, etc.

I made my first quilt in 1974/75, a king-sized quilt that went to the floor. It was tied and I was hooked. Made another king-sized quilt from all of my old clothes and anything else I could find. Back then cotton wasn't the only thing you used in a quilt. To make sure that the quilt would stay together without falling apart, I top-stitched every seam with one of my Viking sewing machine's fancy stitches. Here it is 35 years later and the quilt stitches are still with us - however, the squares themselves have worn out. I guess you can't have everything.

I took about a ten-year sabbatical from quilting doing crafts in the meantime and selling plants at plant parties. Then in 1988, I met a lady at work that introduced me to a quilt guild. That's when my quilting world exploded. There were talented speakers, new friends, classes and I was in quilt heaven.

My addiction to fabric began shortly after that. I took a class on "Storm at Sea" and since it is a pretty scrappy quilt (that was the way the teacher was teaching it) and I didn't have much in the way of cotton fabrics, I had to go out and buy some. Little did I know that that would be my main preoccupation for the next 22 years. All told, I think I spent over $200 in fabric (remember this is 1988) and gave up on the quilt because none of my seams matched, triangle points were cut off, my blocks could not/would not come together and the teacher finally lost patience with me and I with myself. Truth be told, I was still sewing with a 5/8" seam allowance. Well that project is around somewhere just to remind me of where I started. Every once in a while I come across it and smile. It is good to keep your first projects because they let you see just how far you have come in the time you have been quilting.

I've grown as a quilter and have learned many techniques. In the San Francisco area that I come from we are blessed with many talented quilters, some known internationally, who are willing to give their time and share their knowledge about quilting. If you have a quilt guild in your area, I would highly recommend that you join. The commeraderie and group knowledge is priceless.

Well, enough about me. I just want to say that the few weeks that I have been checking out this site have been so much fun. The people here are friendly, funny and talented. There is something going on all the time and I feel like I have found a new home. Thank you.
Mary Ann

DebsShelties 10-02-2010 08:33 AM

Welcome from Virginia

CarrieAnne 10-02-2010 08:35 AM

Welcome!

NancyG 10-02-2010 08:35 AM

Welcome Mary Ann, from No. California. This quilt board is a fun place to be!

mac 10-02-2010 08:40 AM

Nancy, what an adorable avatar picture. You are both too cute.
mac

janRN 10-02-2010 08:42 AM

Welcome Mary Ann. I have my first quilt and it, too, is made with any kind of fabric I had: cotton, denim, polyester (this was 1979), voile, suede, you name it. I use it as a reminder of my quilting journey. Glad you took the time to tell us about yourself.

mygirl66 10-02-2010 09:09 AM

Hello & welcome from Michigan! This is also my most favorite time of year! I am big on Halloween,I look forwards to it all year long.

Lakeview Quilting 10-02-2010 09:11 AM

Welcome from Oklahoma!

Melinda in Tulsa 10-02-2010 09:19 AM

Welcome from Oklahoma! :lol: My DH's birthday is also Halloween. It's his favorite holiday.

Jim's Gem 10-02-2010 09:21 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!