Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   hand quilting help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hand-quilting-help-t104944.html)

Susan Bryant 03-04-2011 11:10 AM

Every so often, my needle gets hard to push through the quilt. I have broken 3 needles because of this. Does anyone know how to make the needle go through easier. When I first start, the needle is really easy to push through, but after a couple of motifs sometimes rows, the needle starts to get harder to push through pretty soon it's breaking.

mtspools 03-04-2011 11:21 AM

try running it threw piece of bar soap

EIQuilter 03-04-2011 11:23 AM

If you're using a hoop, make sure you don't have your quilt sandwich pulled too tight - a little loose is better.

Borntohandquilt 03-04-2011 11:40 AM

Hello and welcome on the Board!
Maybe you use a needle with a low quality and it is getting blunt very quickly. Some needle brands loose their nickel cover very soon because of your hand perspiration. Does your needle look dark grey and without glance? That indicates the loss of the nickel cover. I think it would be a good idea to try another brand.

rusty quilter 03-04-2011 12:31 PM

Run your needle through Bee's wax before quilting. You can get it in little plastic containers made special for quilting. It helps your needle to slide through the fabric, as opposed to "stabbing" it. Also, are you using "between" quilting needle size? If you are using regular sewing needles, they are too big.

MinnieKat 03-04-2011 12:42 PM

Can't help you, I'm not a hand quilter ... but ... Welcome from Minnesota!

StitchinJoy 03-04-2011 12:47 PM

Oh Susan, how frustrating that must be! I would try a larger size needle, for a bit more strength. I like Roxanne needles and Rose Cottage needles. I feel like the quality of my between needles really makes a huge difference.

Good luck to you with your quilting.

feline fanatic 03-04-2011 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Maybe you use a needle with a low quality and it is getting blunt very quickly. Some needle brands loose their nickel cover very soon because of your hand perspiration. Does your needle look dark grey and without glance? That indicates the loss of the nickel cover. I think it would be a good idea to try another brand.

I agree with Andrea. That sounds to me like the needle is getting blunted quickly.

Personally I have never ever heard of running a needle through bees wax, only my thread and I do that to help prevent it knotting up.

A good quality needle will slide and glide through the quilt sandwich like a hot knife through butter and do so for a very long time. Ditch those dritz needles (or clover brand) and try a good quality quilting between. You will be amazed at the difference. My personal choice is Roxanne. Many hear like John James. There are lots of quality needles out there.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-04-2011 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt

I've noticed that with embroidery needles recently. I wear the plating off in no time. I'd imagine going through two layers plus batting would be even worse.

gal288 03-04-2011 02:30 PM

I agree with feline, needle quality is so important.

I change needles as soon as I see the needle beginning to bend when pushing through, it generally means it's beginning to dull. I find that it's harder to keep stitches small then.

Good luck