Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   help needed by a lurker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/help-needed-lurker-t165601.html)

Ninette 11-03-2011 09:54 AM

help needed by a lurker

Hi, from South Mississippi. I have been reading daily for most of the year... this is my first post. I need help. My Janome MC9700 is giving me fits. It had started skipping when sewing... now it has stopped picking up the three completely. I have re- threaded the machine, turned it off and back on again, removed the bobbin carriage/bobbin holder, dusted, cleaned, new needle, changed tension settings.... NOTHING seams to work. Do you have any Ideas! Desperate.
Ninette

sik1010 11-03-2011 10:25 AM

Hello, and welcome from Michigan!
I don't have that particular machine, but can you tell me if it is skipping and breaking thread or skipping on the top thread or the bottom thread? My DD has a different Janome, and we had trouble with it NOT catching in the bobbin area correctly. There is a small hook that the thread was going over instead of thru and it caused her machine to skip too. We didn't notice the problem until we looked at it thru the back side, so can you re-thread the bobbin and then be sure it is catching right underneath that hook?

gollytwo 11-03-2011 10:25 AM

Greetings from New Hampshire to a lurker
Sorry I can't help - sewing machines are like cars to me - I just want them to run properly

Ninette 11-03-2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by sik1010 (Post 4625063)
Hello, and welcome from Michigan!
I don't have that particular machine, but can you tell me if it is skipping and breaking thread or skipping on the top thread or the bottom thread? My DD has a different Janome, and we had trouble with it NOT catching in the bobbin area correctly. There is a small hook that the thread was going over instead of thru and it caused her machine to skip too. We didn't notice the problem until we looked at it thru the back side, so can you re-thread the bobbin and then be sure it is catching right underneath that hook?

It was skipping every now and then,, but now it will not pick up the thread at all.

Jim's Gem 11-03-2011 11:30 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

Sewflower 11-03-2011 01:29 PM

Have you changed the needle lately. If not change it, if you have make sure it is in correctly. I put one in backwards and it did that. Welcome form West Virginia

mariebaker 11-03-2011 06:46 PM

welcome from Colorado-don't know anything about Janome, but I'm sure someone here does :o

Tartan 11-03-2011 07:28 PM

Is there a way to watch the needle come down and see if it's picking up the thread without the material under the foot? If it isn't completing the stitch then the timing may be out (to the shop for check-up) Things to try first: Have you put in a new needle? Is it the correct needle...too long or too short and it won't work. Have you changed to different thread in the bobbin and on the spool? Is the top tension so tight that the thread isn't advancing to allow the stitching? Some fabrics or quilt sandwiches are too stiff or tightly woven sometimes so you can get a skipped stitch. Change to different fabric scraps or sandwich sample and try it. That's all I can think of to try as I am not familiar with your machine. Good luck.

jaciqltznok 11-03-2011 08:35 PM

welcome from OK..though I grew up in SOUTH MS...long beach!

Murphy 11-03-2011 08:36 PM

Hi and welcome to the board from Iowa. I am sure someone will come along that will have the exact answer you need (smile).