Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hi from a new quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-new-quilter-t162995.html)

sandyquiltz 10-24-2011 06:20 PM

I've been lurking on the board for several weeks and have learned a lot already. So I thought it was high time I registered and introduced myself.

I'm new to quilting and sewing. My goal is to create art quilts but I'm working on learning the quilting basics now. Since my skills with a sewing machine are nearly non-existent it's been....ummmm, interesting. But I'm having a great time and giving lots of laughs to the folks at JoAnns and the quilt shops as I stumble across things that are oh-so-obvious to experienced sewers and quilters.

Looking forward to getting to know the nice people here.

Sandy

Murphy 10-24-2011 06:23 PM

Hi and welcome to the board from Iowa.

maine ladybug 10-24-2011 06:25 PM

Hi Sandy. I would give this advise to any friend of mine, so I hope you don't mind me saying it to you. If you can, take a couple of classes. You will learn so much from the teacher and other students. And it's important to learn the basics as you have said. Good luck to you and happy quilting!

slk350 10-24-2011 06:26 PM

Welcome from Ft. Myers, FL

erstan947 10-24-2011 06:29 PM

Welcome from Louisiana:)

BETTY62 10-24-2011 06:30 PM

A big welcome from the eastern part of Texas.

c1bendt 10-24-2011 06:30 PM

Welcome from Colorado :-)

sandyquiltz 10-24-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Hi Sandy. I would give this advise to any friend of mine, so I hope you don't mind me saying it to you. If you can, take a couple of classes. You will learn so much from the teacher and other students. And it's important to learn the basics as you have said. Good luck to you and happy quilting!

Good advice and that's just what I'm doing. I signed up for a bunch of sewing and quilting classes at Joanns plus I have monthly quilting and sewing club-type classes where I bought my Pfaff. If nothing else, it makes sure that I'm sitting at that machine practicing regularly. After the first of the year I'll have a bit more confidence and I'll start taking classes at the quilt shops. There's two really nice ones reasonably close to me.

maine ladybug 10-24-2011 06:35 PM

That's wonderful. When I first started quilting I had two quilt shops near me too and it was great! One of them was within walking distance. I wish that was still the case, but I moved so that's not the case any more. It sounds like you are in a great place to learn though and I wish you many happy hours of quilting!

Originally Posted by sandyquiltz

Originally Posted by maine ladybug

Good advice and that's just what I'm doing. I signed up for a bunch of sewing and quilting classes at Joanns plus I have monthly quilting and sewing club-type classes where I bought my Pfaff. If nothing else, it makes sure that I'm sitting at that machine practicing regularly. After the first of the year I'll have a bit more confidence and I'll start taking classes at the quilt shops. There's two really nice ones reasonably close to me.

tomilu 10-24-2011 06:36 PM

Welcome from Kansas. Glad to have you aboard!!!