Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   hi from the thumb of michigan (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-thumb-michigan-t48507.html)

kirksmom 06-05-2010 03:40 PM

Hi, I just want to introduce myself to all you quilters, my real name is Marilyn. I'm not a great quilter, maybe not even a new quilter. I joined to get information so my quilts will look better. I have never had a lesson but nearly 6 yrs ago, we lost our youngest chiild to a heart attack. I needed an outlet to keep my mind from going over and over what had happened. The first quilt I did was for my grandson, his Dad was my son Kirk. I bought a kit while I was in harrisville and never knew it but it was for advanced quilters. I did it all by hand, it did look quite nice. he still uses it. then I started making them for my grandkids , I have 7 of them and 3 newbies and 2 great grandchildren. I gave each one a quilt. Now, 3 are married so I got 2 grandaughters and a grandson. I love them all. Thank you for listening.

saf45 06-05-2010 03:45 PM

welcome and enjoy best place to be

kirksmom 06-05-2010 03:53 PM

thanks, it's always nice to meet new people. :0)

erstan947 06-05-2010 04:02 PM

Welcome to the board.

Lisa T 06-05-2010 04:04 PM

Hi and welcome from the U.P. It sounds like you really jumped in to quilting with both feet! Good for you.

Sorry to hear about your son's untimely passing. What a lovely thing you did for his son and doesn't it make you feel good to see it used? I know when I see one of mine that is loved to pieces, I really feel like it was appreciated. (Not when one is mistreated, but when one is well-used!)

kirksmom 06-05-2010 04:08 PM

Yes, it does make one feel good to see something you made used by the one you made it for. I just finished another one for my little great grandson, He likes tractors and so do I and my husband, so I made a john deere blanket for him. he was so excited. there's a lot more about me that I will share at another time. It concerns my husband Richard and his fight to live.

Kathy N 06-05-2010 04:16 PM

A Big welcome from Brighton, Michigan. I too lost a son way too early (21). Quilting does help. It makes you feel like you are making warm hugs for others.

b.zang 06-05-2010 04:21 PM

Children should always live longer than their parents, but should doesn't mean the world works that way.

A big Canadian hug to you on your thumb. You're surrounded by friends here.

Teacup 06-05-2010 04:22 PM

Welcome from Illinois! I'm so glad you've joined the Board!

kirksmom 06-05-2010 04:23 PM

isn't much fun is it! do you belong to compassionate friends? I don't know what I'd do without them. I nearly lost my husband last year, he had a very serious cancer disease, it was in his esophagus. out of 100 people with that , only 5 make it. I was so grateful and he had the best doctors. so, quilting has been a great outlet for me. I just don't know the right way to cut the material. that's one thing I'm anxious to learn. Have other things I want to learn too. thank you for the welcome.