Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Introducing myself - New here - from Ohio (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/introducing-myself-new-here-ohio-t23465.html)

King's Daughter 07-30-2009 07:17 AM

Hi Everyone - I've been on the board for a couple of weeks, and finally decided to dive it! I've done a little quilting - mostly flannel baby quilts - over the past several years, but this year took a class at my LQS. Then my DD volunteered me to make a baby quilt for a lady in our SS class, using plain white blocks decorated by other ladies in our church. Which of course meant I had to buy a new sewing machine. I had a 39 year old Kenmore which still works, but I wanted something a little fancier. I got an Elna Pro Quilting Queen, and so far, love her! My baby quilt isn't the greatest, and I'm still working it out, but I'm learning a lot.

I think I really need a class in perfecting the basics - how to accurately measure, cut, stitch, press, etc.

So a couple of questions:

Anyone else have an Elna Queen and can share tips, hints, etc?

Also, I kind of went crazy and bought tons of 1/2 yard pieces (plus a few 1-2 yds), mostly from fabric.com. I got lots of Christmas fabrics, baby fabrics, and a most everything they had available from collections that really spoke to me, like Krakow, Riviera, Hey Sugar. This probably wasn't the brightest thing to do. I was afraid to commit to buying very much of anything, and now I'm not sure what to do with all these 1/2 yd pieces. I also bought a Figgy Pudding Charm Pack, plus a lot of 1/2 - 2 yd pieces from the collection.

I very much want to FMQ, and am playing around with that. I have found that I don't have to lower the feed dogs on the Elna. I haven't tried lowering them yet, though.

Love all the hints on the board, and how wonderfully searchable it is.

Also, LOVE the pictures! What a gifted bunch of quilters!

King's Daughter 07-30-2009 07:19 AM

That should have been dive "in". Sorry!

Shemjo 07-30-2009 07:44 AM

Welcome from Missouri!
I don't have that machine, sorry.
There are tutorials on this board that will help you with specific topics. Otherwise ask away and someone will have the answer, and we all offer our opinions on everything! :?

hokieappmom 07-30-2009 07:55 AM

Welcome from NC. Sorry, I don't have that machine either, but I'm sure someone will have some advice to share. This is the best site for inspiration and help!

Iluv2quilt 07-30-2009 08:07 AM

Welcome from Colorado! I also do not have your machine so can't help there. You are so fortunate to start your stash as you did. Sounds like you had a blast shopping!

Deara 07-30-2009 01:09 PM

Welcome to the board from North Carolina.

Love the name you are using.

I too am a daughter of the KING.

Have a wonderfully blessed evening.
Deara

Lacelady 07-30-2009 01:11 PM

Welcome, 'Princess', from Ireland. I hope you enjoy it here, I have found everyone very welcoming.

Jim's Gem 07-30-2009 01:40 PM

Welcome from Southern California

quilter1962 07-30-2009 01:51 PM

Hello KD

Welcome from Nottingham, UK. So pleased you finally bit the bullet & joined us all here. :wink:

Tisha

Bevanger 07-30-2009 01:52 PM

welcome from wa