Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Jim- new member (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/jim-new-member-t209231.html)

James_D 12-25-2012 12:29 PM

Jim- new member

Hello,

I'm from Petaluma, California. I'm just getting started with sewing. An old White Dressmaster Rotary (Pine Cone) appeared at my house (via my mother-in-law) and was forgotten in the garage. I purchased a Singer 306w (Ugly Duckling) machine for my wife about 7 years ago. It was also forgotten in the garage; uncovered. I pulled them out and tried to get one of them working to do some Sunbrella projects for my boat. I couldn't get them to do it because I had it all wrong. I was told by numerous people the two machines were not up to the task. So I went and bought a set-up, working Pfaff130 (Ulf) and took a sewing class.

After hours of cleaning on the Ugly Duckling, and a light oiling of Pine Cone (already pristine), we now have three working machines. Ulf had been overhauled by the previous owner.

Now my daughter took a liking to Pine Cone and has already made a Christmas stocking, and expressed interest in making quilts; which brings me here.

On Christmas Eve, we had all three machines set up working at the kitchen table working on various projects. I finished a tiller cover for the boat and both kids made there own Christmas Stockings; really cool. My wife hates sewing so she cheered us on.

So hello from my family to you all, and I hope to share with you our successful projects.

Jim

ckcowl 12-25-2012 12:34 PM

we welcome you and your family! this is a great place to visit- find tutorials, lots of pictures, inspiration & helpful hints...we hope you become a regular and share pictures of your projects with us- we all love to see what others are working on- sometimes we find ourselves in a *slump* and seeing what someone else came up with sure helps! :)
my 2 sons & nephew all sew- and sure challenge me sometimes (force me out of my comfort zone)! :thumbup:

JaneAustenFan 12-25-2012 12:43 PM

A big welcome from Leicestershire in the UK. Everyone is really welcoming and helpful on the forum so I'm sure you will enjoy it. Happy quilting! :)

Deecee 12-25-2012 12:48 PM

Welcome Jim - lovely to see another man in our midst. You will find loads of info and variety on here.

Waving to you from Australia.

Thumbelina 12-25-2012 02:13 PM

Hi Jim welcome from NE Ohio.

jjsnacks 12-25-2012 02:18 PM

Hi Jim .....welcome from across the pond ..... Gloucestershire UK

ann clare 12-25-2012 02:41 PM

Welcome from Ireland

Janet L52 12-25-2012 03:06 PM

Hello Jim, welcome from northern California! You will enjoy it here!

pocoellie 12-25-2012 03:38 PM

Welcome, so glad you joined us. I love your story and the names you've named your machines.

James_D 12-25-2012 04:26 PM

The names are appropriate especially for Singer. Poor machine needs a facelift. "Ulf" is the noise you make when you lift the Pfaff. Pine Cone for obvious green color of the Dressmaster machine. Thank you all for the hearty warm welcome. Merry Christmas!!!