Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New to the Quilting Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-quilting-board-t190484.html)

Sallybear 05-31-2012 01:36 PM

New to the Quilting Board

Howdy everyone......am trying to get back into the swing of quilting.....Newly retired & rummaging thru all my fabrics & projects....found a jelly roll quilt kit given to me long ago.....Question in regards to the fabric in the kit......Normally, in the past I would wash my fabric before starting a quilt....with a jelly roll quilt the pieces are all in strips.....Do you wash all the strips before sewing...( I am thinking what a mess this would be & a days worth of ironing !!) or was the fabric possbily washed before cutting into the strips & placed in a kit ????

From KCMO & when not on the road with hubby in the RV am at home trying to organize & declutter the household !!!!

Thanks for any input on the jelly roll quilt !!

sharon b 05-31-2012 01:44 PM

Hello and Welcome aboard !

As for the jelly rolls I have never pre washed them- if you are unsure some have soaked them in water to see if they bleed any of the colors - then just hand to dry. You are correct that washing them in a machine would be a mess :) You might also try putting them in a laundry bag to wash

Neesie 05-31-2012 01:48 PM

Howdy and welcome, from TX!

I seriously doubt that fabric would be pre-washed, before selling. If you're planning to mix it with other fabrics (pre-washed), you can probably hand wash it, then dry it (as you would the finished item). In my experience, the washing machine (rather than the dryer) is usually responsible for most of the fraying and wrinkling.

saf 05-31-2012 01:57 PM

Hello and welcome from the UK! I took up quilting when I retired and started with a jelly roll that I was given as a present. My grandmother quilted all her life and I used to help her wash and iron her fabric but the quilt shop included a note with my present advising me not to wash the jelly roll. I have since enquired and it is advised that precuts are not washed. I used a colour catcher to wash the lap quilt that I made from the jelly roll. It did shrink a little in the first wash but it has that nice slighltly wrinkled look that vintage quilt have. I have used yardage since then which I always prewash. Maybe others will be able to give you more expert advice.

Grandma Peg 05-31-2012 02:00 PM

Welcome from WI.

NJ Quilter 05-31-2012 03:57 PM

Howdy from NJ. I'm sure the jelly roll was not washed. As a habitual prewasher, I would probably not even wash any other fabrics the jelly roll might be combined with so as to get even shrinkage throughout the quilt.

QuiltnNan 05-31-2012 04:00 PM

Welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting :)

Mariposa 05-31-2012 04:03 PM

Waving hello from Washington! :)

ube quilting 05-31-2012 04:04 PM

Welcome from Pa. I wash everything. If it is small I just soak it it in a bucket with a tad of detergent and rinse then toss on sunny lawn, weather permiting of course, or in dryer for just a few minutes till damp dry. I press it as I use it, not all at once.
peace

nannyrick 05-31-2012 04:04 PM

Welcome from Western New York. You will love it here.