Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New to quilting and a little freaked out! Haha (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-quilting-little-freaked-out-haha-t209671.html)

LoisM 12-30-2012 05:35 PM

Hi and welcome to the board! :o

I'm thinking you could start off using pre-cuts (jelly rolls, layer cakes) or fat quarters. If you use jelly rolls, the cutting is done for you and there are a lot of blocks to be made with 2 1/2" wide strips. Start with something easy (like a rail fence design or a 4 patch) and small (like a lap quilt or a baby quilt).

Kooklabell 12-30-2012 05:38 PM

Hi from New York. I still get nervous when I begin to cut the fabric :) You just have to think about it for a wee bit and then, when in the "right mind" go for it. If you get lost or make a boo boo - just post! Everyone here will help you out. They are all great at helping one with boo boos big and small.

Can't wait to see your first project.

ckcowl 12-30-2012 05:42 PM

find a local quilt shop & see if they offer a beginner class- even if they don't they may be willing to spend some (slow time) showing you how to use your ruler, cutter, ect...but a beginner class can really help you along- if they have a sampler program going on those can be a good learning program too...then generally have monthly get togethers- demonstrate new techniques & tools, and help you learn one block at a time.

Smmarti 12-31-2012 02:10 AM

You are all so kind. I guess I just have to let go and just do it! I have been buying per-cuts and I have a jelly roll that I have been planning to use and I have even set it out on my desk. Thank you for the advice!

Lori B. 12-31-2012 05:11 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

jacquip 12-31-2012 05:24 AM

Hi from The Royal Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, England. I am quite new to quilting, took a small course to get to know the basics and I am just about to sew the sashes on to my quilt. It is only 9 blocks and it was meant to be for Christmas for myself, but didn't get round to do much of it. So New Year, New Me (hopefully). I love making craft things. I retired from work in September due to ill health and need something to ocupy my hands. So here's hoping I can complete the quilt by next Christmas. Looking forward to reading your lovely blogs.

Jim's Gem 12-31-2012 10:44 AM

​Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

Abby'smom 01-01-2013 08:34 AM

:) welcome from se TX

marsharini 01-01-2013 10:57 AM

Another welcome from Michigan. I'm not new to sewing, but haven't done it in YEARS. I recently took a Quilting 101 class at a local fabric store and it was very helpful. You might want to check out something like that, or as mentioned your local Quilt Shop.

I just started my first quilt, a baby quilt and have pieced together some pieces and have them laid out on the table and now I'm nervous about joining them all together. Taking a break from that right now.

Baby steps - we'll get there. Good advice here.

Gladys 01-02-2013 02:36 AM

Welcome from North Carolina! Look at the pictures here and you might see something you'd like to try. I like to watch videos from Missouri Quilt Company video's. I gotten a few ideas from there and I think we have tutorials here too. Just search tutorials. So glad you're here.