Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Newbie to quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/newbie-quilting-t105139.html)

TX Gramcracker 03-05-2011 06:52 AM

8-) As my 2nd oldest sister asked when I retired in 2001 "what are you going to do now? you don't quilt or anything". Actually I did and do "anything" - I've just never gotten into quilting though I've always admired and loved quilts. Just not all the work that goes into them. It was a necessity in the family for generations. Two out of four of us sisters are quilters and do beautiful work. I have a quilt from my great-grandmother, my grandmother and two my mother made. And a couple from these quilting sisters. When I say I don't piece and quilt the tops that's not to say I never have. I did finish up an applique quilt from my stepgrandmother and quilted it probably 40 yrs ago-fact think I still have it, worn out and used to cover flowers in the winter. A few years ago I got the bug and cut lot of pieces (thought I owed it to my sons & grandchildren to make each one), sewed lot of pieces together and put them away labeled in zip lock bags when I got really swamped with another project. Pulled them out the other day and discovered that one set of squares I'd cut with the seam allowance and the other set w/o. Had enough cut for various other quilt patterns so decided to do one I've always loved - but not named from a magazine -only all the dimensions are different and will need to cut triangles to fill the 9 patch out to a 16" block. My brain went into overload trying to figure that out. My quilting friend had a great laugh when I told her what I'd done. My most experienced oldest sister (88) was encouraging about it and didn't laugh.

So here I am, at least I'm enjoying all the posted comments from others and hopefully I'll learn something but I'm not rushing full speed ahead now. I still have those other interests.

mtspools 03-05-2011 07:06 AM

Welcome -- Keep working at it you will do fine. I have some blocks I made when I first started that must be 14 or 15 in. blocks,they are still in storage as they are so big I don't know what to do with them. (Well i didn't) Now I know, going to post them on here one day soon and see what others have to say. Got lots of wonderful people on this site.

Granna of 5 03-05-2011 07:07 AM

Welcome to the board from Tennessee, you will get much encouragement from here. Happy quilting.

mtspools 03-05-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by mtspools
Welcome -- Keep working at it you will do fine. I have some blocks I made when I first started that must be 14 or 15 in. blocks,they are still in storage as they are so big I don't know what to do with them. (Well i didn't) Now I know, going to post them on here one day soon and see what others have to say. Got lots of wonderful people on this site.

these blocks are of girl holding umbrella

CarrieAnne 03-05-2011 07:10 AM

welcome!

TX Gramcracker 03-05-2011 08:16 AM

Thanks to all. Is there a Glossary for all of the abbreviations shown on the post? I'm at a lost to figure most of them out.

luv2baunt 03-05-2011 08:37 AM

Great to have you with us. Welcome, Coco from Colorado :O)

Sadiemae 03-05-2011 09:57 AM

Hello, and welcome from Idaho!

Jim's Gem 03-05-2011 11:09 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

MinnieKat 03-05-2011 11:16 AM

Hi :) Welcome from Minnesota!