Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   retired teacher (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/retired-teacher-t46851.html)

Sandi19 05-23-2010 11:17 AM

Hi, I'm Sandi from Ia., then Illinois, and for the last 5 yrs. I've been retired in Florida. I started quilting in July of 2008 because I wanted to make a special gift for my best friend. Her husband was battling cancer and I wanted a gift that expressed my love and friendship(since we were 3). My mom gave me a few quick lessons while I was in Iowa and when I returned to Florida I made my first quilt and my friend was so touched. I have since made her another one for a housewarming gift after her husband's death.
I wish I could be closer to my mom so we could sew together. We sew a lot whenever we visit each other. I am totally hooked on this quilting. I've been making quilts for friends as they retire, quilts for veterans, and Downy quilts. I never had time to sew while I was teaching elem. school for 35 yrs. This has been so rewarding.
I read this post every single day. I'd get more sewing done if I stayed off the computer, but I'm fascinated by all the beautiful work and helpful hints on this website. Thanks to all of you who contribute to this site.

Luv Quilts and Cats 05-23-2010 11:20 AM

Welcome from New Hampshire! I have the same problem, I spend time on the site which takes away time from quilting. Oh well, I know my time on this site is well spent.

MamaBear61 05-23-2010 11:22 AM

Hello and welcome from Ontario.

Deb watkins 05-23-2010 11:24 AM

Hi and welcome from NY!

isnthatodd 05-23-2010 11:42 AM

Welcome. I am a teacher who is planning on retiring next year. Like you, I should spend less time looking and more time sewing, but there is so much here that it's hard to tear away. I'm so glad you found us.

reach for the stars 2 05-23-2010 11:48 AM

Welcome form Illinois. This is a great place

Sandi19 05-23-2010 11:57 AM

Hey there. Congrats on your upcoming retirement. It takes awhile to get adjusted to staying home. I subbed for 2 full yrs....taking long term jobs that paid a fortune....$467/day...I couldn't pass them up. Then we moved here and I spent so much time getting settled and trying to make new friends. Retirement is wonderful, once you get used to it. Now that I have my quilting hobby, I'm busy as can be. Between quilting, sailing, playing cards, gardening, reading, spending time with friends, etc....I wonder how I ever had time to teach!
Obviously I don't know what I'm doing since I replied to myself on the post...duh!

amma 05-23-2010 12:16 PM

Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D

You did nothing wrong by replying here to another's comment... it is perfectly fine to do so!!! :D:D:D

clem55 05-23-2010 12:40 PM

welcomme from KY. Like you , I spend all my time on this board, and not enough sewing. But, for now, I am learning a lot of new methods so when I get the pattern,fabric and start in I will be set to go.

Jim's Gem 05-23-2010 01:06 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!