Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   What do you think? Singer Heavy Duty School Model Sewing Machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/what-do-you-think-singer-heavy-duty-school-model-sewing-machines-t9054.html)

valkoala 09-04-2008 06:52 PM

Thanks oklahoma Suzie, I am new to all of this and want a good and dependable machine. I want to be able to make quilts and clothes for my kids. thank you

pocoellie 09-04-2008 07:11 PM

Oklahoma, unfortunately the new Singers aren't nearly as good as the older ones.

Susan in Texas 09-04-2008 08:02 PM

So true. Remember, the salesman told me these machines don't break, they are made of space age material. In 1970 they called plastic "Space Age " material. There are plenty people around who will tell you that these particular machines do break and are a waste of money. The older machines are made of better stuff.

mic-pa 09-06-2008 03:02 AM

there are several good embroidery machines out there. Janome or Viking are excellent machines (I don't sell them) I just buy them LOL but I would go to a dealer who sells machines. Try them out and know that your dealer will stand behind it if something goes wrong. However I have had my two embroidery machines back only once for general cleaning etc. One I have had for 10 yrs and the other for 2 years. Good Luck in whatever you decide Marge

babeegirl 09-06-2008 03:24 AM

I love Janome sewing machines. I had a Memorycraft 4000 for many years and upgraded to a 4800 8 years ago. It has never let me down.

valkoala 09-06-2008 06:46 AM

Thank you all for your help!! Like I said this is all new to me and now I can't wait to get started!! :D

GailG 09-08-2008 01:39 AM

Many years ago I purchased one of those machines. (Of course, without the serger features.) It is a very sturdy machine. I even used it to teach a class at a local fabric store. It does well on mending and hemming jeans. I have another machine with electronic features, but I still use the "school machine" for heavy duty sewing.

purplefiend 09-01-2010 01:06 PM

The old Singer machine that your mother etc...had were
wonderful machines, the new ones don't measure up IMHO. I have Singer machines from the 20s-60s and they are wonderful; they have no plastic parts to wear out.
I used to sell new Singers and they are loud and don't really like to sew anything heavier than 2 layers of quilt fabric. The new Vikings are great machines, even the low end Emerald line will sew circles around the current crop of Singer machines.
Sharon W.

Originally Posted by Susan in Texas
I would like to say that I do think that Singer has some great sewing machines on the market. I think I must do more research and try many machines before I purchase my next machine. I think these one day sales from 11 am to 3 pm may be selling over priced machines that aren't quite what the salesman says they are. My grandmother had a Singer, my mother had a Singer, and I won awards in school with a Singer....so basically I have no problem with Singer. :thumbup:

Susan in Texas 09-01-2010 04:16 PM

I agree. I would not buy one of the new Singers that are on the market today.

Lori B. 09-02-2010 09:38 AM

Welcome from Michigan.