Re-newbie

Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 PM

Hello everyone,
My name is Kathleen and I've recently relocated from Alabama to Illinois (perfect time to do it, in the dead of winter! haha)
It's been a few years since I've quilted and I'm happy that circumstances have allowed me to continue this wonderful pasttime. Unfortunately all my quilting supplies and fabrics are currently in Alabama. So, its either pay over a $1000 for a U-haul or start from scratch. So hubby told me to go get a sewing machine (isn't he a doll!) If you ladies have any suggestions I would appreciate it. I'm looking for a nice machine that has automatic threader, needle up/needle down (old mach. didn't have that) and be able to lower the feeddogs. Hopefully in the range of only a few hundred dollars. My other machine came from Sears. Its a little daunting to think about what I have to buy. A cutting mat, rulers, rotary cutter, everything. But I can't wait to buy some fabric, oh how I miss it. I have boxes of fabric but it will be at least 6 months before I will be able to get everything. I can't wait to get ahold of some of those UFO's.
I'm looking forward to make some new friends!
Thanks,
Kathleen
Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Power Poster

Not sure about the machine, but most of the other things if you just stick to the basics, I know for most of us that is hard to do, you should be able to keep it relatively inexpensive. Might make it easier to tack on a few more $ to the machine, and look online, you might luck out to some amazing deals. I am fond of Kijiji and Craigslist myself.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:09 AM
k3n
Power Poster

hi Kathleen,

You must feel like you've lost a part of yourself with your stash so far away! But it will be like all your Christmases come at once when you finally get it all back! And by then you'll have spares of everything!

K x
Old 02-05-2009, 02:17 AM

Hi and welcome from Mass. If I had to leave my stuff behind I would not know what I would do. Good luck. I have a Viking 415 and love it.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:58 AM

Welcome from NE CA. Glad you joined us. As far as machines, you can get a nice elna that fits your criteria. I would stay away from the new Singers or the "industrial" Singers. I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations for different machines, you'll just have to check them out and decide for yourself which is best. As far as the rest of the items, I would get on the mailing list of Joann's. Then, you'll get a flier twice a month, each one with a 40% coupon that you can use on anything not on sale. We love pictures.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:45 AM

Hello Kathleen, welcome from Canada. :) It's so nice to have you join us here. :)
Old 02-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Banned

I'd be lost without my sewing stuff. I hope you get it all soon......
Welcome from Wa
Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 AM

Hi and Welcome from southern Indiana!

You might look at used machines -- they will have more features than the new cheaper machines for the same money.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

just me...oh, 'scuse'...welcome, lol...
if you know you have certain preferences as to features. It's fine to buy online, but do yourself a favor and go find the machine you decide on and 'drive' it. Don't buy a sewing machine without trying it.
I just couldn't do that. Like buying a bra or shoes. Some things have to fit!!! :lol:
Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 AM

Thank you ladies for the warm reception :mrgreen: I just looked at hobby lobby and they have a 40% coupon so if the quilting supplies aren't on sale looks like I will be get my cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter this week! YEAH! for tax returns! lol!!
Thanks for the advice on looking at craigslist. They are one of my daily stops along with hgtv (gotta win that house!). There is a sewing/vac machine business somewhere around here. I plan to drag my husband there this weekend. In trade I will make him some cookies. haha
I have also signed up for Joann mailings.
Thanks,
Kathleen