Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Saying Hi from the UK >

Saying Hi from the UK

Saying Hi from the UK

Old 04-09-2008, 04:37 PM

Very very new to quilting - so new in fact that I have only been THINKING of beginning my first quilt

So I am likely to have many questions - I have been inspired to take up quilting - something I remember my paternal grandmother doing since finding this board one night (thanks to stumble)

are there any other board members from the UK

I dont know about the rest of you but I really find these intros difficult as I never know what people might want to know about me

so any questions do ask :)
Old 04-09-2008, 04:44 PM

HI, welcome and Hafa Adai from Guam!
You will find TONS of help and inspiration here.
Yes, there are ladies from UK, maybe right down the road from you!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:57 PM

Welcome from California!

We do have some others from the UK and dearly enjoy them.

Do you have a quilt in mind as your first one? We'd be thrilled to help you in any way we can and keep abreast of your progress, if possible! Do you have any of the quilts your grandmother made?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:52 AM

Hello from the north east of England, where abouts are you. There are a few of us from the UK and I am sure I speak for most of them when I say joining this group has given us many hours of enjoyment, looking at other peoples beautiful work, getting encouragement, and joining in the live chat where I have made many new friends.
I am sure you will enjoy your time here
Katherine
Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 AM

I'm from the UK too! I'm up near Sheffield in South Yorkshire. I've been quilting for about a year I think...(feels like forever) lol! Give it a try...you'll love it I know!.........and we all love pictures! I'm not very expert just yet...but if you need any help just yell...someone will advise you!

Karen
Old 04-10-2008, 01:47 AM

Tirnhi and Celeste thank you for my lovely welcome

Celeste - I am so new to this I thought I would start with doing a stack and slash quilt as I have many fabric off cuts in pinks that I can easily get a 10" square from

I thought doing this it would give me a lot of practice using a rotary cutter - I bought one yesterday and have never used one before - I also thought it would give me good practice on learning about a scant 1/4" seam as there will be a lot of seams that within the blocks it wont be THAT important if my 1/4" isnt as accurate as it should be

and then the joining of the blocks the border wadding and backing will I hope be similar for all quilts I make and then of course the stitching

My friend is due to have a baby in late June early July and I am hoping to have something nice for the baby by then - is it possible and what size quilt would you all recommend for the baby

If I start with 10" squares and loose about 2" due to seams how many do you think I should make

actually lets start at the beginning and ask what I should consider in my materials selection - then if I have to go buy some to go with what I have that will be fine better to find out now than later

Hi Katherine
I am from Wiltshire so not close enough to you to pop round for a cuppa and a lesson or two :)

I am so excited about this new adventure - I feel like its christmas and I have pressies waiting to be opened
Tirnhi and Celeste thank you for my lovely welcome

this is fabric I was give and plan to use in the baby quilt do you think the mix will be ok

fabric I was given
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8036[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-8036.jpe  
Old 04-10-2008, 01:52 AM

You are lucky to live in such a lovely part of the UK, I have an elderly aunt that inspired me to start quilting many many years ago who live in Devizes and cousin in Trowbridge. You have a lot of quilting groups in that area so you should never be stuck for help.
Katherine
Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 AM

That fabric is REALLY pretty.
Take a Google for easy baby quilts and I"m sure you'll find a pattern to your liking.
I still look at those when I want to make something and have no clue what to make and/or nothing I have strikes my fancy.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:08 AM

Hi Karen
I wasnt ignoring you I think I was typing and trying to include a picture and missed your message - seems you are too far away for a cuppa as well :) I will shout when I need help :)

Katherine
I worked in Devizes as a teacher at Southbroom Junior School - you will have to see if your relatives have heard of it

Tirnhi I am so glad you like the fabric - off to do a google

I have just got back from the library - I am so inspired by this site I thought I would join so I can borrow some books :)
Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 AM

Is that the school on the green ? My Auntie was a dinner lady there for years, she lives in Pans Lane.
Katherine