Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Advice From a Singer Sewing Machine Manual era 1949 >

Advice From a Singer Sewing Machine Manual era 1949

Advice From a Singer Sewing Machine Manual era 1949

Old 06-28-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Barbara Antman View Post
I dress to sew. That means a pair of sweat pants, no shoes, and no bra! Freedom to crawl around on the floor to cut, to reach, to pin the final stages of that quilt "sandwich." I probably wouldn't have started sewing if I had to be looking good. After all didn't they ever get threads on their dresses?
Oh yeah, the threads on the clothes are a given....my husband thinks it's cute (thank goodness).
Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 AM

Hilarious! But I have an aunt who lived her life exactly like that - did housework in heels with full makeup every day. Fortunately, my dear mother didn't go that far, and she taught me to sew. You young people, be grateful we "feminist pioneers" raised in the 1950s and 60s helped erase that kind of thinking.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 AM

If I appeared in full make up. a dress and heels- My family would be calling 911 to report a stranger in the house

My creative juices would dry up having to sit prim and proper so I wouldn't mess up the clothes and make up.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I don't do pearls and heels but I do get dressed nice enough everyday to not have to change to go somewhere in a hurry. It's just as easy to put on a pair of slacks and nice top as it is to put on a pair of sweats and tee. I will pick comfort over style any day so I know there are comfortable nice looking clothes to wear. I wouldn't like seeing my DH in sloppy clothes all day with hit and miss grooming.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I'd never get to quilting with that attitude. lol I go to sew BECAUSE I have a sink full of dirty dishes.
Amen! I would never get anything stitched (or cut) if I did all of that before I got to my sewing. My mama was sewing for all of us in that year and I know she wasn't able to get all of that done before she sat down to sew. As she would say, "To each his own!"
Old 06-28-2012, 01:31 PM

Very funny paragraph but written seriously and IMO it wasn't written by a man at all. Those old enough to remember "home ec classes", think of your teacher. Can't you just picture her giving you these helpful hints?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
Very funny paragraph but written seriously and IMO it wasn't written by a man at all. Those old enough to remember "home ec classes", think of your teacher. Can't you just picture her giving you these helpful hints?
Oh, I certainly can see/hear Mrs. Loomis handing these gems out. She'd have a heart attack if she knew I turned out to be a quilter. I didn't exactly *shine* in home ec... LOL!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 PM

I am currently dressed in shorts,tank top w/spaghetti straps and flip flops...gotta have footwear on when using a treadle machine(at least I do).
If I had to do all that before sewing I'd never get anything done. I have 4 dogs who insist on leaving their fur everywhere.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:46 PM

My, how times have changed!! I think for the better.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:58 PM

What page is the "How to remove your dark red lipstick stains" advice on?